Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yay - it wasn't a fluke!!!

Off to Lea Valley this afternoon for the public session, where it wasn't quite so insanely busy as it has been.

The first thing I wanted to do after warming up, and whilst the rink was still fairly empty, was my backward crossovers again, after losing the fear of them on Wednesday. I was a little worried that the white mist would descend again and all my brevity would have disappeared, but no - there they were!!!! So I did lots of BXO's in both directions on the big centre circle, and then did some BXO's into landing position, where I was also pleased to see that I am holding the BO edge better on my left. So yay - my BXO's weren't a fluke on Wednesday! And I am even looking where I am going!!! The joy of it is, now I can really concentrate on improving power and speed - they are not that slow, but they need to be faster. Increasing my reach into the circle with the inside leg will help, and I am working on this.

Apart from that, I practiced a range of things - some one foot slaloming (left foot not bad, right foot catching up), edges, cross-rolls which were feeling good, changes of edge which I haven't done for aaaaaages and was pleased to find worked pretty well and some dance swings up the length of the rink to get a good, quick weight and edge transfer between them.

A few barrel rolls which are now getting nice and controlled, if slow at the moment, and some FO3's to increase the speed I am doing them, so I can do this on the transition between my figure of 8 FXO's and BXO's (instead of slowing down which I have to do at the moment!) and I left the rink feeling very satisfied.

Dancing On Ice tonight, and they have to do an unassisted jump. I guess most will do a 3-jump, but Chris Fountain has gone quite a few steps further and has announced he is going to try an axel. Should be interesting!

7 comments:

miss congeniality said...

Getting speed in the BXO's is really scary,but once you are in the right position it glides a lot better.
I too am not quite there yet with these ;-)

Amanda said...

I have hit that position a few times now and got a sudden burst of speed - scary, but exhilarating!

And now I have conquered my mental block, I hope to come on with these in leaps and bounds!!!

miss congeniality said...

Are you by any chance planning to compete in Grimma (Germany) at the adult skating competition?
I am.
I'm skating on 'second hand rose' by barbra streisand.

Amanda said...

Skating Mom - no, not that one.

Plan is to get my NISA Level 1 Field Moves under my belt, and then start doing smaller competitions later this year, building up to doing the British Adult Championships next February
:)

Amanda said...

Thanks e-skater - yes, it felt quite productive! Yes, barrel rolls are a bit tricky! But I keep persevering, and little by little they are getting there . . .

Skating Mom said...

Wow,big plans !
Good luck !

Amanda said...

Good luck with your competition too! How's your program going?