Good lesson, but worn out
It's been a long day today. Up since 5.30, train at 8.10 from Euston to Coventry for a values and behaviours workshop, back to London and up to Ally Pally for my lesson at 6.30!!
My lesson was good as always.
Forward Crossovers: Getting good extension on these now, except for the odd occasion when I am concentrating hard on something else.
Backward Crossovers: Apparently I look quite relaxed doing these now :) We worked on how I can get them faster, basically by putting more "Ooomph" into the crossover portion.
Backward Chasse's in a Serpentine pattern: Quite liked this and today it was mostly about the weight transfer when swapping from one leg to another.
Backward Progressive Runs: These are still feeling horribly awkward. I checked with D about where to put my foot, as some people have mentioned about putting it next to the skating foot. Apparently she used to do it that way, until she had coaching from her current coach (who also coaches the elite skaters at Streatham) who told her to place the free foot behind the skating foot. Sigh . . . is it me, or does placing it next to the skating foot sound so much easier?!
Barrel Rolls: These were signed off on my Passport today, so all Bronze bits now done, and a little of the Silver and Gold. I've been working hard on these, so am pleased about this! Although I have to say, she didn't sign them off till she had made life a little harder for me! The Passport requires three consecutive barrel rolls, and then do the other side. D made me do six in each direction. And even then, she wouldn't sign it off until I also did consecutive barrel rolls, alternating sides! Still, just about managed it :) And then the evil steps continued with something quite horrible thrown at me . . .
Twizzles: Well, yes. It's another moment for me to cry out for any tips possible on these! Trying them on the barrier at the moment and not really getting it. I read on the Skating Forums about practicing double 3's to help, but I don't actually know what a double 3 is!!!
Novice Foxtrot: Was pleased, as although I was definitely wilting at this point, D said it was looking really nice.
Dutch Waltz: Not too bad - when I get distracted, I forget the nice extension that I am capable of on the FXO's, but overall, not bad.
Rhythm Blues: Something else rather thrown at me, not having done it except for once about a month ago. Just about remembered it (again, thanking God for my good memory when it comes to steps!) with maybe a loss of a progressive or two. I even managed to do one of the cross-behinds (since getting over BXO fear, I have a slightly less fearful approach to some things now), but the other one nearly had me on my face :)
That was that - another pleasing lesson! I am now going to collapse into my much deserved bed!!!


6 comments:
Your coach does indeed learn from one the very best.
Could you please send some of your back crossover magic in my direction?!
You are welcome to have all the magic, but I don't know what it is!!
Just, all of a sudden, the fear wasn't paralysing enough to stop me doing them. And then once I started, and made myself do them at the beginning of every practice, the easier it has got. Don't get me wrong - I still find it hairy when going faster, but it was like something just "lifted".
Sending all the hocussy pocus I can your way!
Double 3s are when you do a forward 3 turn immediately followed by a back 3-turn on the same foot (or vice versa); twizzles are just faster versions of that - you don't have to check between the turns. I can do FI twizzles, and have done BI ones in my time, but can't do FO twizzles; I get stuck in the middle!
I find with back progressive runs if you start off with your foot beside, it will eventually go behind as you get better at them.
Ah - won't be doing double 3's then, as I haven't done back 3-turns yet . . .
I will try that with the progressives when I practice, however D won't let me do it in my lessons!! My favourite quote of last night? "If you don't step that foot behind, I'll kick it there!"
Well, your hocus pocus worked for me! Consecutive back crossovers the whole way round the circle this morning. My feet are an enigma to me, they really are!
Woohooo!!! That's brilliant :)
Keep tight hold of the pocus and don't let it escape!!
Post a Comment