Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best skate of my life!

Yay - time for a lesson, after not having one last week! I had an amazing skate today, both in my lesson and afterwards, but I will explain as I go on.

D told me today what was passable and not for my Level 1 Field Moves:
Forward Edges: Passable and she was pleased. Nice even lobes and lots of control. I still want more push into them though.
Backward Crossovers into Landing Position: Passable. I am noticing that I am finding it harder to maintain the outside edge on my right foot more than my left, which coincides with the same problem on my mohawks. Came back to this later in patch.
Forward Spirals: Will be passable once I have my leg higher, but she was pleased with my technique.
Forward & Backward Crossovers in Fig 8: Forward were passable, backwards were not. I need to work on power and speed on the backward ones.

So not bad really, considering I am still working through the Passport!

Otherwise, we did some dances and D wanted to go through some free elements:
Drags: Don't know WHAT has happened to these - I was beginning to do them quite nicely! Still, I know I can do them, so will sort 'em out for next week.
3-jump: Today she taught me the 2 BXO's into BO edge, stepping forward into 3-jump. AND I DID MY FIRST UNASSISTED 3-JUMP - WOOOHOOOOO!
Spins: 2-foot spins are good apart from I am starting with my weight correctly over the (to be) leg I am meant to be spinning on, but it is wandering back to the middle halfway through the spin. I did manage a couple of 1-foot spins from a toepick start, which have started feeling like I am getting towards the right part of the blade.
Novice Foxtrot: D was pleased, and so was I actually. Felt like a good, big pattern and a good flow.
Canasta Tango: Again, pattern is getting much bigger, and D showed me how to speed up the crossroll, which is where I slow up.
Dutch Waltz: Spent some time working on the rhythmn of the lilting progressive at the start, and again, D was pleased with the dance itself.

And then . . . I had the most amazing practice afterwards! I know I need to practice BXO's, and although they have been improving, D has always been at arms length and I still avoided practicing them on my own. Today, I took myself in hand. I forced myself on the hockey circle, and made myself do them, around the circle. And you know what? I DID 'EM! Both sides! And I was enjoying doing them so much (grinning like a loon), that I did them for about 15 minutes!!!!!!!! Whole circles, BXO's into landing position, BXO entrance into a 3-jump (not the jump, just the entrance). I feel like my whole skating horizon has suddenly expanded and I am absolutely thrilled. It sounds like a small thing maybe, but this has been a huge deal for me, ever since I bashed my head.

And I was grinning all the way home too!

PS. Not only getting over BXO fear, and doing my first unassisted jump, but I have also lost 11 pounds in the last four and a half weeks and a total of 21 pounds since November. Woohoo!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

excelletn job on the BXOs - it really does open up whole new horizons! you are really coming on like gangbusters just now!
3turn

Rookie on Ice said...

Congratulations on everything!!! - the jump, BXO's and the awesome weight loss.

Amanda said...

Thanks 3turn and Rookie :) It is sessions like that, that make everything sooooo worthwhile.

It is 7.00am (having just woken up) and I am gutted that I won't be skating now till Sunday. I wanna get back on the ice NOW!

And thanks about the weightloss Rookie (don't tell anyone, but I even have two wrap skirts making their way to me in the post . . . )

:D

Clare O said...

Oooh, skirts- yay!!!

Glad you had such a fab skate, it is just the best feeling when that happens :)

Amanda said...

Skirts that won't be making an appearance for a couple of months, but skirts nonetheless!!!

By the way clare, your blog has been ominously quiet over the last couple of weeks?!

Clare O said...

I posted just last night...ah, I wonder if you can't see it because I made it friends only? Hmm, do you have a LJ id?

Skating Mom said...

congratz !
It's great when that happens isn't it...I always cheer a bit when I have a moment of victory on the ice.