Sunday, February 03, 2008

A New Rink!

Well, not literally, but today I got to skate at Lee Valley Ice Centre for the first time. Stacey rides at the Riding Centre next door, and it happens to cooincide with the afternoon public session.

It was incredibly busy - I don't expect anything else at the moment, what with Dancing On Ice, but for the first 15 minutes (whilst everyone else was still putting on their skates), I did manage to do some of the "big" stuff - FXO's, fast forward stroking, Russian Stroking, forward edges etc. Once it got busier, I did the "small" stuff in a quiet(ish) corner- mostly focussing on Barrel Rolls and open mohawks.

It is more expensive, but so much more preferable to the Littlest Rink - nice flat, well maintained ice. And one thing that was a real bonus - Plexiglass!!!! For once, I was able to see my reflection (slightly disconserting to start with!), and I could see on the Barrel Rolls where my weight was being thrown off slightly. And it helped! I am doing them nice and slowly at the moment, making sure each stage is well defined and with me pointing in the right direction, and they feel a lot smoother. I shall attack them again at patch on Tuesday.

I also spent a little time doing a few BXO's with my head looking where I am going, as D made me start to do in my lesson. I really paid attention to where my weight is, keeping on my back foot while crossing over, and then transferring the weight really smoothly to the front foot. Progress, I think.

So a busy session, but a good one. And I got to stroke a few horsies before walking over to the Ice Centre as well!! I hope I don't have an overwhelming compulsion to return to horse-riding as well - don't think my bank balance could stand it at the moment :)

9 comments:

Clare O said...

We have plexiglass too and mostly it just scares me when I catch a glimpse of my hunched self in it!

Amanda said...

It was a little offputting at first, I have to admit . . . "I lean over THAT much on a mohawk?!". But it was useful too :D

By the way - I hope you feel guilty :) You have got me thinking about skirts, after reading your blog the other day . . .

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

What she didn't say in her blog was that the person we were discussing skirts with was none other than your coach! LOL!

I'd forgotten there's no plexiglass at AP... shows how long it is since I last skated there!

Amanda said...

Oh NO! So I have no hope of reprieve then, really . . .

Actually, the idea is really growing on me. A nice georgette long wrap skirt and ballet wrapover top . . . once I have lost a few more pounds that is!!

Clare O said...

I totally forgot that it was your coach we were talking skirts with, lol!

I have a skirt- it's just above the knee, as much as I can consider braving! I may, or may not brave it tomorrow...

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

She didn't! But she swears she will tomorrow.... I believe her, thousands wouldn't!

Meanwhile your coach says that she does put some of her kids into tracksuits as they get far too cold when wearing skirts, and the important thing is to be warm enough to skate!

Amanda said...

Oh no Clare - I was looking forward to hearing how you found wearing a skirt!! Oh well, I won't be wearing one for at least another stone and a half anyway . . .
:)

Clare O said...

Tomorrow, I absolutely swear that the skirt will be making an appearance this morning. When my "Ro, if I wear a skirt, will I look like a twit?" enquiry was not met with howls of laughter, I was happy.

When one of our elites backed him up and said she reckoned I'd feel more confident in a skirt than hiding in my trackies, I was almost sold.

Almost.

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Well, she did wear one, and very nice she looked, too!