Beginning to feel like an ice dancer
Another lovely lesson this evening - I do love this sport!
We started off with:
Forward Slaloms: Haven't done these in a lesson since SkateUK group classes, although I always do a few when warming up. But I thought "Okay then" - slalomed down the rink (still find it fun!), and then D said . . . "Right, let's try it on one leg!". Huh?! Found it very difficult at first, but started getting the hang of it when practicing afterwards. She has promised me it will give me "Thighs of Steel" . . . :)
Backward Crossovers: Just plain ones, nothing complicated like figures of 8, but I asked to do these so I can get used to looking behind me! They are not bad if I remember to keep my weight back, and some started going really quite fast. I have worked out that the majority of my issues with anything backward are because my weight is too far forward, and things are definitely improving since I worked that little thing out!
Barrel Rolls: Much better than last week, but I need to still work on the FO Mohawk. It's mostly the lack of pre-rotation that is causing me problems, so worked on this afterwards as well, with quite a positive improvement.
3-turn to Landing Position: Quite enjoying these really! D has made it slightly more complicated by adding a swing on the step forward, but not bad!
Open & Closed Chasses: Closed chasses are getting better. Then we spent some time just doing open chasses, working on the rise and fall. When I hit the correct rhythm, they felt wonderful - and apparently I have a really nice extension on these :)
3-jump: Haven't done these for ages and ages - did them holding onto D rather than the barrier, and actually, they felt pretty good! She tells me that my landing is very stable on them - just need to build up the confidence to do them on my own now!
Drag: Not bad - just need to push a little more of the back foot on the recovery, so it doesn't get pulled round to the side.
Spiral: Slightly under hip level, but I have not done many on ice yet! D tells me I have really good control over my core, which is nice to hear, and slightly takes away the worry that I will pitch onto my face!
Novice Foxtrot: Feeling good, and only one or two progressives where my foot is turned out, which is great.
Canasta Tango: Spent some time on the pattern on this - I need to remember on the swing after the first slip chasse that I should be carrying on the curve, rather than trying to turn in the direction the swing ends up. I also need to speed up the cross-roll, but apart from that, it is in time and doesn't feel bad at all.
Dutch Waltz: My favourite one still - D asked the little girl she teaches after me to judge me and she gave me a 6.5 :)
All the dances were feeling good today, and they are now also beginning to really feel like dances, which is lovely. I think that working on my arms and head this past week has really helped, and brought back some of the poise I had when I was dancing.
I also brought up the topic of extra lessons, although I might have to start going to morning patch. Not happening yet though, until my payrise comes through!!!


4 comments:
I find one foot slaloms virtually impossible!!
Like absolutely everything in skating, it got a bit easier when I started using my knees a lot (hence the Thighs Of Steel comment I suppose!). I also find it easier holding my leg tucked in at the moment, rather than extended in front.
And of course, it is easier on one leg than the other!!!
:)
They're not impossible, but I do find that if I do too many it makes my knees hurt rather badly. Less so now that I've lost weight, but I'm scared of them because they so easily make my knees hurt.
Having said that, I do do the occasional lap of them. They are the only thing I find easier to do backwards than forwards!
Backward? Heavens! I can't even work out in my head how that is supposed to happen!!
Post a Comment