Monday, March 05, 2007

Some people are just too polite . . .

Walking home from the bus-stop after skating this evening, I started to walk across a zebra crossing, just as two girls were "leaving" it. Two guys were waiting rather impatiently in their car and bellowed out "F**kin' 'ell man!", as I stepped on it. I have to say, I walked across it a liddle more slowly than I might have done normally . . . . does that make me a bad person?!

Skating was absolutely packed tonight. There were the usual hockey goblins, one of whom knocked over a little boy of about five, much to my rage, and even a few adults behaving quite irresponsibly. Needless to say, my practicing was somewhat curtailed today, as I had to limit myself to forward stroking, some 3-turn practice, slaloming and some edge work. The problem was that as soon as I found a small empty space, I would turn round and see half the rink rushing towards me at speed to fill it up!

Couldn't really do any backwards stuff today, but tried a few slow speed backward crossovers near the barrier. And had a small breakthrough - instead of looking forward, I did the correct thing of turning my body in towards the (imaginary) circle, and the crossover suddenly felt much easier, and it was much less "toepicky". I am quite looking forward to trying these properly in class on Wednesday now. I am also trying to "sit" more into these, but this is slightly more difficult - hopefully doing them (slightly) faster on Wednesday will help with this.

PS. I apologise to all the changes to my blog over the last couple of weeks - I hope it wasn't too confusing. I am finally happy with how it looks, so won't be changing it for at least a few months!

6 comments:

Gordon said...

What's a zebra crossing? Is that we in the US call a crosswalk?

Amanda said...

It is a pedestrian crossing with broad black and white painted stripes on the asphalt.

Quoted from The Americans Guide to Speaking British:
"Zebra crossing" ... "with flashing orange beacons on either side. If a pedestrian steps onto a zebra crossing, you should stop. Unless you are in London in which case your job is to kill them."

:-D

Anonymous said...

the new blog is bootiful!

have i given you my backwards lecture/pep talk yet?

about 2.5 yrs ago, when I was toddeling around backwards with a terrified look on my face and doing an entire lap backwards was a huge accomplishment, never mind a lap of BXOs, one of the more advanced adult skaters told me that one day i'd actually be *more* comfortable going backwards and would find BXOs to be a more stable way to gain speed and power than FXOs. of course i thouht they were freaking insane. but... about 6 months ago... i realized i had reached that point. going backwards really *is* more stable than going forwards. one day you'll think so too!

3turn

Amanda said...

Glad you like the new look 3turn - I have to admit, I am quite pleased with it now!

You haven't given me the backward pep talk before - it's great :-)

I have heard about going backward being more stable than forward - I am guessing that it starts when you become more comfortable sitting back into your blade, rather than forward near your toepicks like me at the moment?!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that happens for me eventually although, right now, as my back crossovers feel as though they're getting worse, it seems a long way away.

Amanda said...

Ain't it just so frustrating at times?!

:-D