Venting my spleen . . .
I'm sorry, after my skating today at the Littlest Rink, I have some things to get off my chest. It may take a while, but if I don't, my blood pressure will go up and my head will explode. Which wouldn't be nice for anyone.
- Do ice rinks restrict the number of people on the ice, in the interests of health and safety, or is it all about money?
- Why is it always me that gets accosted by strange Eastern European men with filthy socks, bellowing down my ear "IS MY FIRST TIME! IS EASY, YES?". Er, no.
- How dare an arrogant, ten year old little hockey
gitgoblin tell me I am skating in the wrong direction. Actually, I was trying to do the first lobe of a 3-turn in a "quiet" corner of the rink, curving towards the barrier. He decided to get between me and the barrier. In about 10 inches of space. AND I'M THE ONE TO BLAME?!!! Particularly when I watched him for the next ten minutes SKATING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!! - Why, oh why do parents not watch out for their tiny ones (I'm talking about four years old here) skating in the wrong direction against a lot of rambunctious teenagers? I (hopefully) may have been mistaken, but I think one little girl had a bit of a nasty accident today.
- What is the attraction of hanging around at the barrier gates, blocking everyones exit and entrance to the ice?
- Why are some adults even worse than children when it comes to trying to cut people up on the ice? IT'S NOT A BLOODY SPEED SKATING COMPETITION!
- Why are my feet soooo sensitive to my lacing. A fraction too loose, and they feel wobbly. A fraction too tight, and my arches are on fire and my little toes lose all sensation. And they always feel fantastic . . . about five minutes before the end of the session.
- Why is it in London, that drivers ignore zebra crossings. Even when a pedestrian is on it.
Thank you for that, I feel a little better now.
As you might imagine, I didn't really get to do much today. Which was a shame, as I was beginning to get a couple of good RFO3's today. But they were severely limited, and I couldn't do much else today, so I actually gave up in disgust and went home.
Luckily for me, I have a day off work tomorrow. I just really hope there's no school trips, but saying that, nothing could be much worse than the rink today. And I have a blogger guest coming skating with me as well - Jen from over Pigeon Tendencies way! She's having a bit of a time of it at the moment, so this is all part of the rehabillitation process! I love it when I have friends come skating with me as it is normally quite a solo activity (not knowing many people at Ally Pally yet) - and of course, a day off is always fab anyway. Apart from the time I had food poisoning that is . . .


6 comments:
Bets are currently being taken on how many times my [now smaller] ass touched the Ice.
Personally i'm on twice! ;-)
Ach, you'll be fine. And I'm getting good at holding people upright!
:-D
Sounds just like the last ice rink I visited. Maybe the one before last, which is too many years to remember. I did go skating(whilst pregnant Oops!) the Christmas before last at Hampton Court. I managed to remain upright and avoid the idiots, so was reasonably pleased with myself. I do admire you taking up this sport after so many years away from it.
PS I've been meaning to visit your blog for quite a while. I like the roses you have added.
Thank you for visiting Janie! The rink is not normally that bad, we're just experiencing a bit of ice skating fanatasism after the recent series of Dancing On Ice. It'll wear off in time . . .
:-D
Glad you like the roses. It was a bit of an html nightmare for a novice like me, but I got there eventually!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with lacing up their boots. Like you they are either too loose and my foot feels like it has no support or else I do them up too tight and end up with pins and needles. Surely by now in this hi-tech age someone could have come up with a fail safe method for doing up skates.
By the way I'm jealous you and Jen are meeting up for a skating session especially as Monday is my day off. I wish I lived nearer so I could join you. Are you ever likely to be up Sheffield way?!!
I'll let you know Jane! Always willing to try new ice rinks.
:-D
Post a Comment