Monday, March 26, 2007

A lovely Spring day

Well, I had a great day today! Not having to go to work on a Monday is always fabulous, and it was a gorgeous day today as well which always helps!

Skating this morning was great as well. The ice was smooth, the rink was practically deserted, and to top it all off, I had a new friend skating with me! Yes, Jen from Pigeon Tendencies braved the horror of rental skates to accompany me to Ally Pally. And she did brilliantly! By the end of the session, she had covered backward skating, one foot glides in a straight line and on an inside edge, skating forward turning to backward and lemons/sculling. So more or less up to Skate UK Level 3! And it was great having someone with me - a few of my friends have come with me once or twice, but 95% of the time it's on my own and all very serious. Which I love but it's always good to have a laugh for a change. And it's always nice meeting a new friend!

I did lots of 3-turn practice today. They were a bit hopeless for the first 10 minutes, but then something clicked, and on my RFO3's (always my stronger side) they were happening about 2 times out of 3. My LFO3's still need to catch up - the turn is happening but I am still too far forward on the blade. I have patch tomorrow evening to sort it out before my test on Wednesday. Please God, let them happen!

Apart from that, I did forward crossovers, some very apprehensive backward crossovers on the barrier, edges, slaloming, fast forward stroking, backward stroking (getting much more power into this now), forward and backward chasses and some continuous curves down the length of the rink - when doing these my skates felt really skiddy. Definitely time for a sharpen now!

We spent about 2 hours at the rink during which I got nicely "glowy" and then I had a lovely relaxing afternoon at home. Crap TV, reading, knitting a baker boy cap for my best mate and general pottering about. Shame I have to go back to work tomorrow really!

10 comments:

Jennifer Watson said...

bring on the Lemons baby!! :-)!

Amanda said...

Preferably with a large vodka and tonic . . .

And you didn't fall once, I hasten to add, even with all the new things you were doing!
Fantastic :-D

NIUiceprincess said...

Great to hear those FO 3 turns are coming along! One of these days I'm gonna call off work and go skating as well! :)

Jennifer Watson said...

ooh yes! Lets do real lemons next time!

I know! My bum was rather shocked! Though my legs are aching now!

Amanda said...

I highly recommend it niuiceprincess - although if I'm not careful, all my leave will be taken up with skating this year
:-D

Skating Mom said...

Hi,just a question aside;how did you manage to create your own beaytiful blog title?

Amanda said...

Hi Skating_Mom! I created the title in Photoshop as an .jpg image (along with all the other images on the page). Then it was lots of pain and agony learning to crack the background html programming!

If you want to know anything, please feel free to email me on airyfairy76@hotmail.co.uk!

Skating Mom said...

Wow,that sounds too difficult for me ,the creating that I could manage,but cracking programmings....that's another story...

Amanda said...

Once you know where to put it, it's easy. Only thing is your blog uses a different basic layout to mine, but I could probably work it out! If you create images you want to use, let me know and I'll see if I can crack it for you
:-D

Skating Mom said...

thanks ,I'll think about it !