Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Another good class

I had a good class today - well they are normally good, but sometimes they are more satisfying than others!

Today we did:
Backward Chasses - the coach really concentrated on the push backwards today, turning the feet in and pushing right off the inside edge of the free foot, then holding the free leg in front of you before bringing your feet neatly back together. These were starting to feel quite good and the more backwards stuff I do, the more confident I am getting, although not quite backward crossover confident yet! I think I should just throw myself into these when on my own sometime.
Forward Outside 3-turns - well, I said yesterday that these were a washout, but something must of happened, because they made a return today. Well, the RFO3's did anyway, if not the left. On one of them, after gliding backwards out of it (admittedly very slowly, but hey!), I even put my free foot down when I wanted to do it, rather than having to! So I am very happy today with the progress on these. The main thing I concentrate on with these now is my free leg - keeping it superglued to my skating leg, and "clenching" my hips together. Sounds weird, but the only way I can explain it - kind of keeping my bum and the muscles across my lower abdomen really tight all at the same time. This has helped so much with the 3-turn so I think my naturally large turn-out from ballet/freaky genetics doesn't help. Apparently I am going to love mohawks though, as they rely on lots of turn-out!
Skating Backwards turning to Forward - as normal. I just have to make sure that when turning out of the circle to step forward, I don't lean forward as I have a propensity to fall forward onto my toepicks.
Continuous Forward Curves on Outside Edge - I do enjoy doing these. I was the first to go today, and I even got a round of applause, which was nice but slightly embarrassing! I am getting more power in the initial push-off now which helps get the momentum much sooner. The rather sudden downhill lurch halfway across the rink helped somewhat as well . . .

Unfortunately, I will have to miss class next week as I have to go to Coventry for a conference and we travel up on the train on Wednesday afternoon. I even looked at the logistics of getting to Coventry after my class, but worked out that potentially I wouldn't get there until about midnight and would have to fork out £15 for a taxi. So not really an option.

That also means that tonight was the last class I have before the test in two weeks. However, as I have passed everything else already in Level 6, the only thing I really have to focus on over the next couple of weeks is the FO3's. I will just carry on and on with the repetition and hope that they are there in a fortnights time. I am feeling much better about the RFO3's, and hoping that the LFO's decide to catch up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to my (russian) coach, his coach refused to allow elite level skaters to take ballet (despite all you hear about their ballet training!) because in figure skating you MUST KEEP YOUR HIPS CLOSED. He's always getting on me about open hips.
3turn

Amanda said...

That's interesting to know. I hope it doesn't become a hindrance to me rather than a help! Although I know a lot of skaters who take ballet classes.

At least I think I know what "keeping hips closed" feels liike now!