Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Patch virgin . . .

. . . no more!

Yes, I finally plucked up the courage to join a patch session! It took me five minutes of gazing through the window, and then another ten minutes watching them from the stands (just to guage things you understand . . .) before I got on the ice, but I finally made it! And it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was very careful watching everyone around me and keeping out of the way, but no, it wasn't so bad after all.

It was really nice to do some forward stroking at speed which is hard even at the practice session at the end of the group lessons, as you have to watch out for the lower Skate UK Level skaters. I managed to do the whole length of the rink in about six or seven strokes, which I was reasonably impressed with. I am also focussing on pushing off with my inside edge, and making it less toe-picky. Doing okay I think. I also managed to spend some time doing continuous curves down the length of the rink and I think am getting more power behind these now as well. Both inside and outside edges feel stronger, and the transition between the semi circles are much smoother. When I bring my feet together, I am sinking down in my knees more before pushing off, which helps with both stabilising me and to give the next curve more power.

I also spent some time on FO3's today (of course!) and just found these frustrating today. Didn't manage one and it just felt like one step forward, one step back. They were however beginning to feel a little better towards the end of the session. I am now concentrating on "Tummy in, make sure right on outside edge before turn, arms at waist height, don't lean too far forward on the turn, turn shoulders and keep head locked to shoulders, keep free foot GLUED to the skating leg . . . blah, blah blah!!" Honestly, it's a wonder my head doesn't explode when I do these now with all the thought processes going on!

So that was it. I am soooooo glad I have my first patch session under my belt. And it was another small step today to making me feel like a real figure skater - even though I was the most beginner skater there!

9 comments:

Gordon said...

congrats!

Amanda said...

Thank you Gordon
:-D

I have a small sense of relief that the first one is done!

Jennifer Watson said...

See, and you know the first time is the worst! :-)

knew you'd be fine!

Amanda said...

Thank you Jen for your vote of confidence.
:-D

I'm just a big wuss at times - I think I should buy "Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway".

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Glad you made it :)

Amanda said...

You helped a lot actually Clare. I kept reminding myself that I wasn't the only one to be worried by my first patch session
:-D

Anonymous said...

Glad I helped and once you've been to a few patch sessions, you'll wonder how you ever managed to practise at all on a public session :)

Amanda said...

Unfortunately at the moment I will have to combine the two (patch and public) but at least the patch is there for me now!

Anonymous said...

I still skate one public session too- I have my lesson then- but it just makes you appreciate nice patch ice even more :)