Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Where did Spring go?

So much for saying that it felt like Spring had come yesterday. Today was the complete opposite - windy, cold and wet. Waiting for the bus coming back from the rink, I had my hair down and being blown all over the place. I must have looked like Cousin It from the Addams Family!

It was an odd skate today. Firstly, I was feeling a bit rubbish as I was surrounded by fantastic skaters today. Secondly, I was just getting a bit fed-up with still feeling the 3-turn blues. They wouldn't look any different, but I suppose I am feeling slight differences in how I am doing them. I have been asking for help on the Skating Forums as well, so have a few more tips to work on. Namely keeping my feet close together, keeping everything nice and upright, bending the knees more, and not letting my leg swing out at all after the turn. I did a few other things today including forward crossovers, forward and backward chasses, two foot turns and edge work which were all okay. I think my main reason for being disappointed is that I really hoped that I might crack the turns by the start of my next Skate UK lesson set . . . . which begins tomorrow. Never mind.

I was considering making the most of the day and staying for the afternoon session as well, but after a cup of coffee I'd had enough of trying 3-turns and decided to go home and relax for the rest of my day off. However, on my way out I had a chat with the receptionist, who gave me patch details and timetables. It's in fact very reasonable - I was expecting it to be really expensive, but it wouldn't work out any more (and possibly a little cheaper) than the public sessions that I go to at the moment! So that means that later on this year, the only extra thing I will be forking out for is lessons as patch won't cost me any extra than it is now. Yay! Somehow, the thought of getting up for a 6.00am patch doesn't seem so awful now . . .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ick, the weather really was miserable today. Wind *and* rain- the worst combination :(

Speaking as a definite owl rather than a lark...I look forward to the mornings I skate so much now. If you had told me a year ago I would be getting up at 5.30 to do something energetic for an hour and a half *before* work, I would have checked your temperature!

Amanda said...

I know! I've got it all worked out in my head - get up at 5.00, get to the rink for 6.00, skate for an hour and a half and go straight to work from there, to get to work by 8.30.

Wait a minute, where's my thermometer?

:-D

Anonymous said...

I'm there for 6.45 and I skate until 8.15 to get to work for 9 (ahem, ish).

5.30 no longer feels like the middle of the night :)

Amanda said...

I am actually considering a bit of forward planning tomorrow, and chatting to my boss about me getting into work for nine, a couple of mornings a week (instead of expecting me to do the early shift all the time!).

Not that this will all be happening for a couple of months, but nothing like being prepared . . .

Gordon said...

There's nothing to make you feel a bit closer to being a "real skater" than getting up at the butt-crack of dawn (as we would say). I only do it on Wednesdays though... (the 6 a.m. freestyle).

I assume by "patch" you mean "freestyle"? To Americans "patch" means a session specifically for figures -- only one rink in the area offers this anymore, and only one or two hours a week.

NIUiceprincess said...

Hi, i found your blog on from the skating forums. I'm an adult skater too and in freestyle 1-2 (having trouble with my two foot spin to completely get out of freestyle 1!)

the FO3s will come soon, don't worry. I know I spent a good couple months on Gamma and on those pesky three turns. I honestly think it is harder than the Delta level. My inside 3s still could use some work too.

Good luck on everything and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Amanda said...

Hi Gordon! I think here "Patch" is just a general term for practice/training sessions, as according to my timetable it can be Dance, Free or Mixed (and at three different levels).

Amanda said...

Hi Niuiceprincess - nice of you to drop by! And thank you for your encouragement. I love reading comments from other skaters on my blog!

I'll have to take a little peeky at your blog too :-)

Anonymous said...

How are your mohawks? Can you control the exit edge of an inside mohwak? If you can, then you have teh correct posture and position to control the FO3 exit and the problem is with the turn itself, not the exit. If you can't, then look to the exit edge - BI edges are much harder than they should be!
3turn

Amanda said...

Hi 3-turn! Unfortunately, I haven't tried mohawks yet (not till Level 8 in Skate UK!) so not sure. I have wondered about the BI edge and whether it is making me unstable. I now have lots of tips to bear in mind tonight though!

Paula said...

WOW Amanda I would love to be able ro skate but unfortuatley there are no skating rinks here in Ireland.
Thank you for your comment in my blog...I really appreciate all the lovely comments....
Your Middy is gorgeous. I stitch her as part of a sal on cross stitch direct forum..we stitch on her every 3 weeks....
Happy stitching and skating....

Amanda said...

Hello Paula - how nice of you to drop by :-)

Thank you for your comments about Middy - I kind of threw myself into it. My first time not using Aida and my first time stitching over one as well! I am really pleased at how she is turning out though - as you know, the photos doesn't do the colours justice.