Friday, February 16, 2007

What are you giving up for Lent?

One of my colleagues suggested I give up skating for Lent, as it is an addiction.





I Think Not.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I am going to have no say in the matter:'(
Yes I realised 3-turn just meant leaving one maneouvre for a while and coming back to it with a fresh perspective. Like you there is no way I would choose to give up skating - even a week's holiday is bad enough but this time I am having a break imposed upon me. I am having an op on my nose and have to do no physical exercise because of the risk of nose bleeds - could you imagine that on the ice!! However I have my stack of videos ready and will be visualising steps in my head plus, like you mentioned in an earlier blog, doing the odd "off-ice" practice session on the kitchen floor. Where would we be without lino?!

PS: I'm wondering what Skate UK level Louise is on as she mentioned passing Level 8 and also how she got on with the mohawks.

Amanda said...

Hopefully Louise will see your message and let us know?! :-)

Sorry to hear about the op - I hope it all goes well. It's a shame that you have to take a break from the ice, but hopefully it will go quickly for you. When are you having it done?

I have laminate - that works pretty well too :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amanda. I go in for the op next weekend. Unfortunately it was delayed because I came down with a cold. Hopefully I will be able to get one more ice skating session in this week.

I now have visions of people all around the country practising their skating moves in the kitchen. Well it kills the time while you're waiting for the potatoes to boil!

Anonymous said...

Hi folks - I've just passed Skate UK 8, all except for the two backward crossovers followed by a RBO edge on my right leg. Going backwards gives me the willies! I'm about to start Skate UK 9 tomorrow night. The mohawk in level 8 wasn't too bad once I stopped looking at my feet.

Amanda said...

Thanks for letting us know how are you are doing Louise!

I haven't really looked at the physics of doing a mohawk yet - plenty of time for that yet I think :-)

And I know what you mean about going backwards - although I am getting a bit more daring now!

Gordon said...

Maybe for Lent you should give up sleeping late, and get up early for those 5 a.m. freestyle sessions?

Amanda said...

Thank you for the suggestion Gordon but there are a couple of problems with that one:

I don't think I qualify for those sessions yet, but am really, really looking forward to the day that I do!

5.00am doesn't exist on my alarm clock. I've looked. It skips straight from 11.00pm to 6.30am (when I normally get up). But I am aware that it might start existing at some point . . .

:-P