Inside, I'm Screaming . . .
I took the day off today, so pottered up to Ally Pally for the two and a half hour public session.
Although this is normally a beautifully quiet, space to do anything kind of session, as mentioned previously, this week is half term. It wasn't as packed as I have seen it before, but still pretty full. So I spent an inordinate amount of time avoiding flailing legs and arms, having people crash into the back of me (luckily, not hard enough to knock me over), cursing under my breath when witnessing small boys smashing the back of their blade into the ice to make big holes and the usual little tots blindly staggering right across the middle of the rink from one side to the other.
And the 3-turns are now making me hugely frustrated. Away from the barrier, I turn and stop. There's too much of a scratchy sound, which apparently means I am not far enough over on my outside edge and I fall towards my free leg after turning. If I turn at the barrier, it's a lovely smooth swivel on the foot, but my weight still falls towards the barrier (although not as heavily as before). So my current action plan is that I repeatedly do the 3-turns, alternating foot each time, and so at the point of the turn I rest a hand on the barrier. As soon as I turn I take my hand off the barrier to get used to gliding backwards. I am hoping if I keep doing this over and over and over again, I will eventually sort out where my weight should be and find that I don't need the barrier. Something has to work eventually, before I rip my skates off and chuck 'em across the ice screaming!!
Did all usual stuff otherwise, forward stroking fast and slow, edges, a few backward chasses and a couple of crossovers.
I was tempted to stay for the next two and a half hour session, but I was getting a blister on my heel and decided to go home. I may still go to the quiet session tonight at the small rink though! Four hours skating in one day would be a record for me - is this what AOSS is about?


11 comments:
Hi,here another adult skater from Belgium.
I also started in september but I've never skated as a kid.
Still,I recognize a lot in your story ;-)
All I can say is ; keep on trying and you will succeed eventually !
Good luck and lots of fun on the ice !
I'm confused about half term, it seems to vary all over the place...the public schools in my area definitely are off but I saw the high school kids on their way to school this morning.
Anyhoo, on topic- at least you're more comfortable actually making the turn now. It's a rarity if I actually glide out of it for more than a millisecond too.
Hi Skating Mom - lovely to hear from another adult skater! I hope you are doing well?
Hey Clare - you sent a message just as I logged in. Must be psychic :-)
Yes, it's strange - I can do a lovely smooth turn . . . if I am resting a hand on the barrier. Just need to get my damn weight distribution correct!!!
I'm ok,I have succeeded the test for levels 1 and 2 and now I'm training for level 3.
So I haven't gotten as far as you yet,but I'm getting there.
A few months ago I could hardly skate so I'm very pleased with myself.
I'm turning 30 too this year by the way ;-)
Are the skating levels in Belgium similar to the UK?
I learned something recently that's helped a lot with three-turns - the human head is pretty heavy, and if you're looking down at your feet while your skating it'll be out of line with your body and throw you off balance. Try to look some distance away from you and keep your head upright. Keep your free hip up, too. You'll get there in the end!
Sorry, that's Louise posting accidentally as "anonymous" above.
Hi Louise.
I have noticed that I do have a nasty habit of dropping my head forward when I do this. I will pay more attention to this and try and keep my head up. Thanks for the tip!
For me it helps when I have someone standing in the middle where I can do my 3turn around (if you know what I mean),it is easier to focus on the right point...
About the levels I'm not sure but I think so,we have 8 levels.
Sounds similar then - we have ten levels in the Skate UK, before you go onto your Bronze, Silver and Gold stars. However, we don't do 3-turns till Level 6, so sounds like things happen in different orders.
Good luck for your Level 3 when you take it!
Hi,no,we don't do them eather in level 3 ,but I'm taking private lessons so I learn other stuff too ;-)
My next chance to get to level 3 (or even maybe 4!) is on the 1st of may.
Post a Comment