Testing time - in more ways than one
Well, after the fun I have had today, not being able to turn my head to the right and wincing whenever I have to write, speak on the telephone or laugh, it was time for testing at Ally Pally. I have also had a couple of doses of co-codamol (mixture of paracetamol and codeine), which made skating very interesting!
As we have only had a few lessons so far this year, we just did what we could to pass what we could. I just about passed what I expected to, ie. everything but the 3-turns. But it was harder than normal on some things, as the co-codamol made me feel veeeerrry relaxed, which was slightly detrimental for some things. I did take it very carefully though, just before anybody gets concerned!
Things I have passed today are:
- Backward Chasses - these weren't too bad, although I was a little unsteady. Not sure if this was because of painkillers, or the fact it was difficult for me to turn my head to watch where I was going! I did find that I am doing these faster now - just need to make sure I am lifting the "chasse" foot up more.
- Two Foot Slalom - as before, these are just fun really. No problem with them!
- Backward Skating, Stepping Forward - like the backward chasses, these were harder today, as you have to both look behind you into the circle whilst skating backward, and then turn and look behind you out of the circle to do the turn to forward skating which was difficult with my locked up neck. I was doing these with better technique last week, but faster today.
What I didn't pass was the forward outside 3-turns. But to be honest, I wasn't expecting to. However, the good news is that I can feel myself getting closer all the time. After doing the turn, my skating foot actually wants to go backwards now, rather than grinding to a halt. The only problem is that my weight is too far forward, so still falling towards my free leg. I am also now remembering to pull my stomach muscles right in, and to lift my free hip up more after turning, which I can feel helping, so I really do feel that these are slowly, slowly getting there!
Hopefully when I start the next round of lessons (in two weeks), I will be in a mixed class, so I can start working on Level 7 stuff, while still doing the Level 6 3-turns. Either that, or I will just suddenly become wonderful at them in the next fortnight, and go up a complete level!! On with the repetitive practicing . . .
One more dose of my co-codamol tonight (should get a good nights sleep - seriously, these things make you feel reeeeally relaxed) and off to bed to rest my neck and back. It is feeling better now, but not sure if this is because of time or painkillers. Guess I will find out in the morning, but I don't want to take any more pills tomorrow if I can help it.
By the way, Happy Valentines Day! And no, I didn't get one . . . .


14 comments:
Ouch- hope the neck feels better soon.
I didn't pass Level 6 on the first attempt- same as you, everything but the 3 turns. Our groups are usually a couple of levels mixed anyway so I'm sure you'll be doing some level 7 now too- bring on the back crossovers...:)
I was thinking about the backward crossovers as well . . . breaking out into a cold sweat when I do though!
:-)
why don't your leave the 3turns for a few sessions and practice other stuff. i find taking a mini-vacation from an element means that i can come back to it and start fresh.
hope your neck feels better!
3turn
Hi 3turn - yes thank you, my neck is a little better today. I haven't taken any co-codamol today, but it is still achey and stiff. But I can take it easy today!
That's a good idea about the 3-turns - it might be nice just to go skating for skatings sake, rather than spending a session getting frustrated!
Hope you're feeling a bit better today Amanda. Talking about taking breaks from skating - I am having to take an enforced break as I am having some surgery which will put me out of action for 2 weeks. I can feel the withdrawal symptoms coming on already:-(
I was hoping to be on Level 8 by Easter but now I think I will be lucky if I get Level 7.
By the way the Art on Ice show was amazing. Evgeni Plushenko what a star!
Hi Jane - sorry to hear that you have to have surgery. I hope it goes well and it's nothing too serious?!
Luckily 3-turn was only talking about a break from 3-turns - if I couldn't skate for a couple of weeks, I'd be very upset!
I'm really quite jealous about the Art on Ice thing . . . :-)
Plushenko must have been fabulous
Backward crossovers are lovely when they start going well. It's the first move I learnt that made me feel "wheeeee, I'm a skater"!
Hey Louise! I am kind of looking forward to backward crossovers but I am a little bit apprehensive about them too :-)
I do love those times though that make you feel like a real skater - I had it when I did forward crossovers :-)
hey,well done!
We only pass here when everything went well,that is different in England I see.
Thanks Skating_Mom!
I think it depends on where you skate. At the rink I attend we have booklets with the levels and the individual components - if they are happy with that, they will mark it off, but not sign off the whole level until you have managed all of it. So I have passed on three of the four things, but not passed the level yet.
But they also push you to do harder things if they think you are capable, so hopefully I will be able to start on some of the Level 7 things too!
"We only pass here when everything went well,that is different in England I see."
So true - I fell flat on my face doing a forward drag for level 8, and the coach passed me anyway. I think she got my booklet mixed up with someone else's!
The coach I have had recently said that she also takes into consideration how you have done throughout the level, not necessarily just on test day.
I was a teensy bit wobbly on Wednesday but she knew that my neck / drugs taken were making it difficult and had seen me doing it much better :-) The SkateUK levels are fairly informal I think - once you start going into your passport and above, it all changes!
I hope you didn't hurt yourself Louise - no ice burn on your chin I hope? :-)
Nope, just a banged knee. Not sure how I managed that - which is always the way when I fall over on the ice!
Ouch! I've managed to avoid bashing my knees so far which I am quite glad about as they do cause me problems on occasion.
Post a Comment