The big question is . . .
. . . will I test next week for Level 6?
It is my choice, but I am not sure yet. It was the penultimate class today and we covered all parts of Level 6:
Backward Chasses: It doesn't help that the hockey circle is very bumpy and I am not comfortable accelerating at speed backwards yet. Not too bad otherwise, but I need to make sure that my feet are brought right back together, and to become more comfortable in pushing back.
3-turns: Humph. Well we all know what I feel about these at the moment, and this will be the decider as to whether I want to test or not. Advice given to me today was to make sure I was right on the outside edge going into it, and to go in with a more bended knee and straighten up at the middle slightly to push my weight further onto the front of the blade. Still grinding to a halt after the turn though.
Backward turning to forward: I was a bit worried about these, not having done them, but needlessly so. I am taking them relatively slowly at the moment, but didn't find them a problem at all.
Slalom: This was just fun! I was finding that the more knee bend and hip swing I put into these, the faster I went.
So we shall have to see next week - as I said, the 3-turn is really the deciding factor. Plus the fact we have had fewer lessons than usual as it was closed for a week. Lots of practice over the weekend I have decided. I also have Monday off work, originally thinking that I would have a lovely day up at Ally Pally, pottering about on a nice quiet rink. Nah-ah - I've just been reminded that it is half term, so I shall be booting teenagers out of the way instead.
Ice dance was mentioned again this evening - as in, the coach thinks I should consider it. My ballet training has been soooooo helpful in a lot of things. I'd love to do it, but I think I should focus on getting my basics first. Let's hope not too much else gives me the same grief as the 3-turns! My current level coach said that when I am ready, she will talk to me about all the coaches available. She reckoned I could be competing next year . . . aaargh! Sudden thoughts of having to wear skating dresses and tights has made me want to eat nothing but salad and fruit! I wonder if you can get away with a huge jumper and trackie pants . . . ?
LFB Watch
Nothing to report. LFB has been in hiding, either that or it is dead. I doubt it - I am sure that its eyes were glowing red and there were little horns growing out of its head. I am convinced that it is a hell-mouse (similar to a hell-hound, but much smaller). Still sleeping with half my towelage shoved under the door, and the aroma of peppermint oil searing its way through my sinuses.
It is my choice, but I am not sure yet. It was the penultimate class today and we covered all parts of Level 6:
Backward Chasses: It doesn't help that the hockey circle is very bumpy and I am not comfortable accelerating at speed backwards yet. Not too bad otherwise, but I need to make sure that my feet are brought right back together, and to become more comfortable in pushing back.
3-turns: Humph. Well we all know what I feel about these at the moment, and this will be the decider as to whether I want to test or not. Advice given to me today was to make sure I was right on the outside edge going into it, and to go in with a more bended knee and straighten up at the middle slightly to push my weight further onto the front of the blade. Still grinding to a halt after the turn though.
Backward turning to forward: I was a bit worried about these, not having done them, but needlessly so. I am taking them relatively slowly at the moment, but didn't find them a problem at all.
Slalom: This was just fun! I was finding that the more knee bend and hip swing I put into these, the faster I went.
So we shall have to see next week - as I said, the 3-turn is really the deciding factor. Plus the fact we have had fewer lessons than usual as it was closed for a week. Lots of practice over the weekend I have decided. I also have Monday off work, originally thinking that I would have a lovely day up at Ally Pally, pottering about on a nice quiet rink. Nah-ah - I've just been reminded that it is half term, so I shall be booting teenagers out of the way instead.
Ice dance was mentioned again this evening - as in, the coach thinks I should consider it. My ballet training has been soooooo helpful in a lot of things. I'd love to do it, but I think I should focus on getting my basics first. Let's hope not too much else gives me the same grief as the 3-turns! My current level coach said that when I am ready, she will talk to me about all the coaches available. She reckoned I could be competing next year . . . aaargh! Sudden thoughts of having to wear skating dresses and tights has made me want to eat nothing but salad and fruit! I wonder if you can get away with a huge jumper and trackie pants . . . ?
LFB Watch
Nothing to report. LFB has been in hiding, either that or it is dead. I doubt it - I am sure that its eyes were glowing red and there were little horns growing out of its head. I am convinced that it is a hell-mouse (similar to a hell-hound, but much smaller). Still sleeping with half my towelage shoved under the door, and the aroma of peppermint oil searing its way through my sinuses.


6 comments:
Wow that's brilliant news about you being able to compete in ice dancing next year. I would love to ice dance but the only adult class is on a Thursday daytime when I am at work. I expect you are young enough to get away with an icesakting dress but I think mine would be more a tunic and trouser thing!! I am amazed you are actually asked if you wish to take the test. The coach tends to move us up when they think you are ready. Looking at my FI 3's I think I will be on Level 7 a while but then there are the delights of the mohawk to come on Level 8!
Keep us informed.
Hi Jane!
I don't know whether my rink does dancing lessons - I reckon I would have to start thinking about private lessons this summer. Words like "Preliminary Foxtrot" are being mentioned . . . :-)
Our lessons are booked in batches of 6-7 (apart from this one, which was only 5) and then we do the test for that level on the last lesson of that set. But as it was only five lessons, and plus I was skipped from Level 4 to 6, I am not too worried.
Those 2 Foot Slaloms *are* fun, I love 'em!!
I know. It's like skiing on skates :-)
Particularly when I hit a downhill patch at Ally Pally!!
I've only skated there once and found the downhill corners really entertaining!!
I find them entertaining going forward. However, going down them backwards is (at the moment) terrifying!
Post a Comment