Little Boys can Hurt
It was off to the quiet session tonight at the small rink for me, this evening.
I hadn't skated over the weekend, due to sleep deprivation caused by the LFB (Little Furry Bastard) - more about that later.
The rink is getting busier and busier on the public sessions at the moment, I suppose due to the increased visibility of skating from Dancing On Ice. However, this made it very difficult for me to practice my 3-turns as there just wasn't enough space. There was one little boy of about five who would stand there dead still at the barrier, then when I went into my 3-turn, would come hurtling towards me, limbs all over the place. So I didn't get a chance to get into them, and certainly no improvement from my lesson last week.
I am also going to have a huge bruise on my bum tomorrow. While I was standing at the barrier waiting to do a 3-turn, all of a sudden something crashed into me, and knocked me onto my butt. As far as I can see, it was a boy of about ten who couldn't skate, was clutching the barrier, but decided that it would be fun to pick up snow, presumably to chuck at someone, lost control of his skates and collapsed, hitting the back of my legs as he did so. Yay, what fun . . . . My bum was sore on the left hand side for about five minutes, but wore off really quickly. The bright side of the story is that it did highlight that falling onto the soft squidgy part of your backside (and mine has plenty of squidginess!) really does hurt a lot less and cushion the fall.
So with all the people and all, I spent most of the session doing controlled slow and fast foward stroking, lots of edges etc. Actually, even with all the people and the cannon ball in the back of my legs, I quite enjoyed it!
As mentioned, the mouse, henceforth known as the LFB, made himself extremely apparent last week. I woke up at two in the morning on the night following my Wednesday class, to hear sounds like something digging for Australia. It had found some plastic bags on the chair in the corner of my room and was having a picnic. Probably literally. After hurling my slipper in that general direction, it did scarper, but left me awake ALL night. My flatmate the next morning said she had woken up at just gone midnight to see it climbing up her clotheshorse, from which it then leapt and sat on the floor staring at her. The LFB is becoming far too cocky, and seems to be reluctant to eat any poison - I can't think why! It disappeared all weekend, and then came back last night. However, I was ready and barricaded it in the kitchen with towels and the new Argos catalogue up against the door. My flatmate and I are also now sleeping with towels wedged under our doors, and our rooms sprinkled with the miraculous peppermint oil. Time for a new direction methinks . . .
Quote of the day, made by one of the sports centre attendants on stepping on the ice in trainers:
"It's well slippery on 'ere, innit!"
Well, duh.


6 comments:
Hi Amanda - glad your blog was more light hearted today. I think we are all suffering the Dancing On Ice syndrome at the rinks. My Sunday session is full of what I call 'littlies' who as you say fling themselves all over the place. Very frustrating as you get yourself set up to do a 3-turn and then catch a small body zooming towards you out the corner of your eye.
I am starting FI 3-turns which are more scary than FO 3-turns although having done FO 3s you do have some knowledge of the principle of how to do it. I am however at the same stage you are with FO 3s - in that I get round but suddenly stop. I have been told I have to go into them with more attack ( I think this is a euphemism for speed!) At the moment I've hit one of those stages where I suddenly lack confidence and wonder whether I've got as far as I can go. Hopefully it will pass.
Ha, someone else who does the first bit of a 3-turn and then grinds to a halt! Glad it's not just me ...
PS, this is Louise here. I can't figure out how to use this 'ere comments system properly.
You are braver than I would be with the LFB, I'd be living on someone's couch by now!!! Hope you manage to get rid of it soon.
Ah, the first rule of being a skating child is, apparently, that all adults can be used as a barrier. Happened to me a couple of times too- little buggers!!
Jane: I've had the "attack" word used at me as well, and I agree it is a euphamism for speed. I do tend to practically stop before trying the turn :-)
Louise: I'm actually equally glad I'm not the only one who stops after the turn! As Jane said - "Attack" seems to be the key! Am rather worried it will mean me attacking the ice bodily though . . .
Clare: Believe me - I've been a complete wuss about it. Screaming like a complete girl . . . okay I know I'm a girl, but still! And I'm glad I'm not the only one been floored by someone half my height - it was quite embarrassing! Especially as I've managed to keep adults taller than me upright :-)
I think we have the same cocky LFB.
See blog update!
Welcome to the LFB club - a support group for those unfortunates who are plagued by these small, terrifying creatures with sharp, pointy teeth (paraphrasing from Monty Python . . .).
Can't believe he ate your kit-kat - must have been seduced by the "Only 107 calories" on the front of it!!!!
Post a Comment