Watch where you're going!
So much for saying that I felt okay with my cold on Wednesday. Yesterday was my work trip to Manchester (two and a half hours each way on the train) and I felt pretty rough most of the day. On the way there, I was sitting next to a pig. At least it sounded like one, when he snored and snorted as he slept for the majority of the journey, except when he was eating, which was all audible chewing and slurping on his tea. Luverly . . . And then coming back, I was sitting next to a pleasant enough teenager, who listened to his iPod at full volume all the way home. Yay.
Today I feel a bit better (not so tired for a start after a lie-in this morning) but not 100%. I did go for a skate this morning, but took it fairly easily, with lots of forward stroking (really trying to build up some speed now), edges, two foot turns, backward skating and practicing my new backward snowplough stop. I did spend a liddle time chatting to another figure skater in the middle of the rink - all the ones I have "met", both skating and through my blog all seem to be such nice people!
The rink was actually quite busy today - must have been a school visit. Either that, or lots of kids playing truant. The busy-ness wouldn't normally be such a problem as it is still quieter than the weekend, but at the moment they have sectioned off part of the rink for the Dancing On Ice people, who are now practicing with their partners. I only recognise the one I saw the other day, but there were three couples today.
Some of the kids were the normal hockey ninja's - and I had my first collision today with a boy who decided he was going to skate through a six inch gap between myself and a complete beginner. I'm just glad he collided with me, as I am now stable enough for it not to knock me over. If he had knocked into the beginner, she could have been hurt. The impact hurt my arm enough as it was!
I tried out an experiment today as well. Normally I wear knee-high nylons underneath my skates (hmmmm, sexy!) but didn't have any clean ones on my Wednesday class, so I wore trainer socks instead. I hated these - they take up a surprising amount of room in your skates! Today (as I still haven't done my washing), I decided to wear just bare feet in my skates. Surprisingly it felt really good! I lost the slidy feeling you get with the nylon and it stops your feet "glowing" so much. I might stick to bare feet for the future, but if anyone has any other suggestions or comments about what they wear on their feet, I would be interested to read them.
I am going to take it easy for the rest of the weekend and let my cold get better. Have a good weekend all!


10 comments:
Amanda, you were very brave going skating bare foot and risking a load of blisters. I compromise and wear nylon knee highs with socks over the top!!
I don't mean to be nosy but are you able to disclose the identity of the "celebrity" you keep seeing or have your rink made you sign the official secrets act?!
By the way I agree with you about us skaters being a friendly lot. Since I have taken up ice skating I have made loads of new friends of all ages from 7 to 70.
Ahhhrg! I think blogger just ate my comment. I'll try to repeat it and if the original shows up later, my apologies for having to read the same info twice.
Anyway, I wear a skirt a lot when I practice so I usually wear Danskin full-footed microfiber tights in "suntan". They last a long time as long as you dn't snag them or rip them with your blade. And they are warm. When it's cold or snowy outside, I wear pants with knee-high's. I will never go barefoot again. I tried it once and was left with really sore blistery feet. Sucks!
I'm not sure if I should disclose which "celebrity" I have seen - it will be official soon, and I will let you know (I would hate anything to be traced back to me!).
However, it is easy to see who is rumoured to be doing the next series on the internet - okay, I will give you a liddle clue.
It is a former boyband member . . .
Don't worry Mandi - it only appeared once!
I don't think I will be wearing a skirt any time soon :-). However, I remember wearing Danskin tights when I was dancing.
The Mondor microfibre ones look good as well, and you can get them as knee-highs. But I can't find them on any UK site to purchase!
I order everthing from Rainbo Sports here in the US. They do ship international but it says you might have to wait 10 to 20 business days to get your package.
I use the mondor knee high's!:
http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/2C1CDB80-D610-7E99-DB0491F4C570C055
And here are the Danskin's:
http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/4AC57CC1-475A-BAC0-50FB93F64C6BBB71
Anyway, if it's knee high's that you want, you don't have to purchase special skating ones. Just buy thin trouser socks that you would normally wear under dress pants. They are most likely cheaper than ordering skating knee-high tights and they feel the same in the boot.
The wikipedia website on Dancing on Ice is great and I have just found the complete list of celebrities for Series 2. Have you seen it?
I have seen it! The only one I am not sure about is David Tennant though, as I read somewhere before that he hates skating!
But I believe the rest of them are fairly accurate - and my "spotted" one is in there as well :-)
Yes I agree - I wasn't sure about David Tennant either but perhaps he is keen to follow in the footsteps (or should I say skating boots) of John Barrowman.
I know some people that skate in bare feet -- they claim it gives them a better feel for the ice.
Personally, I just skate in standard issue white athletic socks (the cheap ones that aren't thick).
That is kind of what it felt like - almost like my skates were more responsive to what I wanted to do (better edges etc).
I will have to continue experimenting for a couple of weeks I think to find out. Although I won't be barefoot when we go on the outdoor rink in December (with my work) - my feet would drop off with frostbite!
Post a Comment