Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Back to Class

It was back to Ally Pally today, for the first class of the next half term. And it was wonderful! Today, I really felt the benefit of having skated three times a week since the beginning. The times that I have complained (over the last week) of wanting to do new things have been forgotten, as I really felt the pay-off of doing the basics over and over again.

We also had a new coach today - I am enjoying having different coaches, as they all have their own hints and tips on technique (nothing clashing yet, thank goodness). We didn't cover any new things today, but concentrated on the Level 4 syllabus. So, we covered:

Backward Skating into Two Foot Glide: Having not covered backward skating that much in lessons, I was glad that I made myself practice this over the last couple of weeks. Feeling this getting easier each time I do it is great. The backward two foot glide I haven't found a problem yet, as long as I keep my knees really bent, as with most things I am finding out! The only time the glide is scary is when I go toward the side with subsidence, and find myself gliding backwards with increasing speed!
One Foot Glide - Outside Edge: I was chuffed to bits today, as the coach told me they were very good!! I am actually enjoying these now, as I can feel myself on the edge, rather than just convincing myself I was when in reality I was just pointing my blade in a circular direction! I am also being able to sustain the glide much longer now, but I have noticed that I am stronger with these on my left foot, so need to make sure I focus on the right foot more. Something to practice on Friday and Monday when I am on leave and can skate during the day on a (hopefully) practically empty rink.
Two Foot Turns: Practicing these at the barrier a lot over the last few weeks has also really paid off. I no longer need the barrier! One thing we were told today which I didn't try before was turning the head in the direction you wish to turn, just before you turn the feet. I think what made it harder before was turning my feet and my head all at the same time. I also managed a turn and carried on skating backwards - woohoo! Turning from back to front was mentioned, but not explained yet. I did try it, but nearly fell on my face. I'll leave that one till next week I think, or try it at the barrier perhaps. Oh, and my two foot turns were praised as well!

And that was it! Not a huge amount covered, but had a real sense of accomplishment this week, which is a lovely feeling. I can't wait for next weeks lesson now. Actually, I am really looking forward to daytime skating on Friday and Monday as well.

I also learnt a valuable lesson today. I hadn't eaten since lunchtime today, and wasn't hungry before I went skating so didn't bother eating. Once I got on the ice, my knees went all weak and trembly from lack of food, and I spent the whole session thinking my legs were going to collapse! Luckily they didn't, but I won't be risking that one again . . .

No comments: