Red nose and red cheeks
I have had a cold developing all day, so wasn't really relishing this evenings lesson. Particularly as I was worried about the cold affecting my balance, with a blocked nose and all.
Turned out to be a rather good class, but slightly embarrassing as well!
The first thing we did was backward skating (with the two foot glide) and I was taken to one side and asked if I minded demonstrating it to the rest of the group as I was the only one doing it properly. Flattered as I am by this (and it's good to know that I am going in the right direction - excuse the pun!), I have always been quite shy about being singled out like that. Funnily enough, stage fright was never an issue when I was dancing and neither was a karate tournament I participated in - deliberately performing feels quite different, so it's not the being watched, it's more the public praise I think - it makes me blush and I blush very easily! Luckily I demonstrated the backward skating okay and didn't embarrass myself by falling over!
Then when we were practicing our forward chasses, the coach was talking to me and suggested that when I have completed the 10 levels, I should really think about doing ice dance, as I have a nice line, posture and rhythm. I am quite tempted by this already, although I would like to learn some freestyle as well. I will get through Skate UK first and see how I feel then!
After we finished our lesson, I approached our teacher to show me how to stop when skating backwards. The one thing that worries me is that because I go relatively fast (for a beginner anyway), when going backwards it can be quite terrifying as we haven't been taught to stop, so I just tend to twist around and almost lose my balance. So I have had a brief lesson now in:
Backward Snowplough Stop: Luckily, these look like they will come much quicker to me then when I was trying to do my forward snowploughs! At the moment, I do these from a two foot glide - and then transfer my weight over to my left leg, and push my right leg out to the side on a slight inside edge, and slightly turned out. Just like going forward really only turning the foot out instead of in! I only spent about five minutes on these, but have managed a few successfully, so much happier now about going backwards.
That was about it for today. The only other thing we covered which I didn't mention was the usual FO's - not bad, these are improving all the time now.
Well, I am off to bed with my runny blocked nose. Luckily I feel perfectly okay, just the normal fed-upness that you get with a blocked nose. Unfortunately I have to go to Manchester on a work trip tomorrow, so will be spending about 5 hours on the train. What fun. Never mind - I am off work on Friday, so can have a relaxing day . . . after a bit of skating of course!


4 comments:
i find stopping while going backwards fairly difficult, and usually mohawk to forwards and then stop. my emergency backward stop is to drag my toepicks, which my coach hates.
3turn
Unfortunately I haven't learnt Mohawks yet, so I was doing some kind of awkward twizzle and then nearly falling of my feet!
Hopefully I will be a little more secure now :-)
The reason I learned backward to forward two-foot turns was because I couldn't stop while going backward! :-) Finally, one day I just asked my coach, "How DO you stop while going backwards?" and she showed me the backwards snowplow. It's actually required for USFSA Basic 4, but it wasn't part of the ISI curriculum that we used. But it is a lifesaver, isn't it? I stop with my left foot turned out. I wish I could do either side, but turning out the right is REALLY hard for me.
I's a right footed girl myself - forward and back. But you're absolutely right - it is already turning out to be a lifesaver!
It is in the next level I will do, but I needed it now!
Post a Comment