Another hurdle jumped
Headed off down to the small rink for the public session today. It was very busy when I got there, and all I could really do was skate around for a bit. And then a miracle happened - everybody got off the ice for the last half hour, except for about 6 people! It was amazing how it turned from a session when I was thinking "Maybe I should just leave", to a really good practice.
I managed to practice everything from level 4 today - backward skating (with the two foot glide at the end), forward chasses, two foot turns and outside edges. I had a major breakthrough with the FO's on my right foot (which regular readers will know have been giving me problems) - I am getting a curve! It always makes me so happy when something finally clicks. At first it was with stops, then with two foot turns and this time with RFO's. I wonder what the next personal hurdle to overcome will be. I reckon crossovers will give me lots of fun . . .



3 comments:
Hiya Amanda- Just read your latest blog. I went skating on Sunday too and the ice was atrocious. There had been a foam party and the ice was covered with craters and ridges. Whenever you tried to do a move you just ended up getting stuck in the ice. Congratulations on the level 4 stuff. I am off for my lesson tonight. I am on level 5 but hope to get moved up to 6 as I can already do 3 turns (see last comment I made) and slaloms - not looking forward to backward chasses though as I am convinced I am going to fall backwards.
I can't believe they would put a foam party on the ice! That seems very irresponsible. It's bad enough with one or two craters, let alone when the ice is full of them. Whereabouts do you skate?
Hope they move you up soon - I would like to get level 5 under my belt by Christmas, but the current group teacher only seems to be focussing on one level. I am now comfortable with Level 4 and would like to be moved up, but we shall see.
Good for you! It's always a boost when hard work pays off and something "clicks." And it really is good to really work your basics. In some of my previous classes, we had some very young teachers who said "good enough" much too often and passed people, who then had difficulty in higher levels. I actually had to learn to say, "No, I don't have that move yet. I need to work on it some more."
That said, no harm in working crossovers on your own time! :-)
And so sorry about the mice - I do hope your problem is over. My parents had their kitchen redone several years ago, and several of the little beasts got in while the walls were knocked down. I was staying with them at the time, as I'd moved out of my apartment and was searching for my first house. I don't think I had a good night's sleep for a month! We eventually got them all, though, as I hope you have. Stopping up the entry-holes really was the key.
Post a Comment