Monday, November 06, 2006

Celebrities On Ice!

When I went skating today up at Alexandra Palace, I saw one of the rumoured participants in the next series of "Dancing On Ice" having a lesson. How exciting! Even though I do live in London and everyone around me keeps saying "You'll never guess who I've just seen?!", I don't seem to see celebrities that often!

I got frustrated today - still with the same thing as before, doing my RFO's. LFO's are no problem at all - I even managed to do an entire circle on one glide today, which I was rather impressed by (not a particularly tight circle, but a circle nonetheless!), but the right is giving me real problems. I went back to doing straight glides on the right, and have noticed that I veer off on the inside edge, so obviously I am pronating too much on that foot. I played around with the lacing on my boot, yanking them more on the inside arch of the boot to support it more, which did help a little. I think I will just have to do lots more straight one-foot glides and RFO's, trying to lean more into it and to strengthen my right ankle more.

Everything else went fairly smoothly, but the ice was a bit hacked up today - I guess from the open skating they had on fireworks night. There must have been hundreds of people on the ice!

We caught another mouse overnight. So much for hoping we only had one! I bought a second mousetrap today (we've been using the live capture ones) so we can try catching two a night. If it comes to that! I also bought the equivalent of kryptonite for mice today - apparently they hate Peppermint Oil, so with that sprinkled on cotton wool and wedged into nooks and crannies, it may persuade them to go elsewhere!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For RO edge, think "knee over little toe" - a Mrs. Redboots tip, which I find works. And make sure that the toe on your free foot is pointed INTO the circle (eg free foot NOT turned out, but turned in). This seemslike a little detail, but actually makes a huge difference. Also just practice standing on your Rleg at home, with L hip UP, not dropped. It takes a long time... for every freaking new skill, my R side lags behind the L for weeks, if not months!

Regarding the mousies - I have a floor to celing pantry, which gives the beasties easy entry. Your comment made me think that maybe I should rearrange and put the food in the cuppords over the counters and put the pots and pans and dishes in the pantry. Hmmm......

3turn

Amanda said...

Thanks for those tips - it's my group lesson tonight, so I will try to put them into practice. I can just see my thoughts now "Toe in, knee out, hip up, head up, arms held . . . . aaaarrrrgh, splat!"

Try Peppermint Oil as well - has made our flat smell like a Polo mint, but quiet from the beasties over the last couple of days!

Anonymous said...

How exciting to see a "Dancing on Ice" participant! It seems like every country has a skating reality show these days. I think it's wonderful, as it does wonders to raise awareness of the sport. I visited the DOI website and saw that Torvill & Dean had reprised their "Bolero" routine. I would have given anything to see that...

Personally, I've been following the Russian "Stars On Ice" skating reality show (happens to share the same name as the famous American pro touring show) because my all-time idol Alexei Yagudin was one of the celebs...skating pairs for the first time in his life. What fun!

And I like those RO edge tips...going to try them myself.