Friday, November 03, 2006

Not quite as hoped!

Well, as previously said, it was my day off, and I was off up to the rink to enjoy some peace and quiet.

There was a school party there.

Admitedly, they were fairly well behaved, and I did manage to practice everything, as there was only a couple of them who decided to cut me up while I was trying to do my outside edges. And even then, only once or twice.

My feet were annoying me today - I just could not get them comfortable in my skates for about the first hour. I think I am actually yanking my laces too tight - I love the support it gives, but it makes my arches cramp up. The last half hour, my feet were pretty comfy though.

So I did practice everything today - edges, backward skating, forward chasses, two foot turns, forward stroking, sculling and also straight one foot glides (haven't done these for ages, but I can't believe how easy they are now!).

My FO's are still weaker on my right foot than my left, but I kept doing them over and over and over again, and did notice some improvement by the end of the session. I am beginning to "feel" my edges now, and I am not getting right over on the edge on the right foot, but they are slowly getting better. I was also asked by one of the school boys, if balancing on one leg was hard. Bless . . .

I really enjoy backward skating now - I am beginning to feel myself using my inside edges to push, so it is starting to (gradually) turn into actual stroking with a little more power, rather than backward tottering! I did nearly take a tumble when doing this today as I caught my toepick, but luckily I was close to the barrier at the time!

My feet are killing me now - but nothing to do with skating! After the session, I decided to nip straight down to Oxford Street to look for a new winter coat. Four hours later I am still without coat (there must of been a rush on, after the bitter cold we have had this week!) and of course, have been lugging my skates around all day. I was thinking about dragging my skates up to Alexandra Palace Fireworks Evening tomorrow as they will have skating, but I think I will give my feet (and my shoulder!) a rest, and wait for the daytime session on Monday (yes, another day off!). Do schools often take children skating on a Monday . . . ?

No comments: