Sunday, November 05, 2006

Screams of Delight & Horror

Went up to the fireworks display at Ally Pally last night (and yes, I did forego the skating) and took some photos which I thought would be nice to post. They are not brilliant photos, but still getting used to my digital camera.
Unfortunately the screams of delight turned to screams of horror when I went into the kitchen when we got home to make a cup of tea, and a mouse ran across the floor to hide behind the fridge. Cute in a cage, absolutely horrifying when they are running free around your home! We had heard some strange scratchings over the last few weeks, and this confirmed suspicions.

Today I was absolutely exhausted after having a horrendous nights sleep, waking up at the slightest sound (I think it was resident in my bedroom, which made it even worse). Today was straight down to Homebase to get some humane traps, expanding foam filler and steel wool (both to fill any holes around pipes that it was getting in through). Bait wasn't a problem as my flatmate and I have been having a spate of peanut butter on toast recently, which apparently is one of the things the little beasties love the most!

Well, I put the trap down today, and less than three hours later, it was caught! My flatmate and her boyfriend were cooking and Mickey (as it was named) must have come wandering in whilst they were cooking. Probably because in my state of horror, I just about sterilised my bedroom today, so probably scared it out of hiding.

Mickey has now been dispatched, but I am aware that if there is one, quite often there is more. We shall see, but I hope I sleep better tonight! Especially as I want to hit the quiet ice tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mice - I hate the little beasties! They poop in my pantry, I freak out, set traps, take everythign out of the pantry, sterilize and restock, put it all back, everything is fine for while until I find more poop in my pantry, and the cycle start all over again! Wish I could figure out how they're getting in!
3turn

Amanda said...

Luckily we haven't seen any evidence of it getting up to our cupboards (where the food is kept). I would probably faint clean away if we did find chewed corners of food packets, or droppings amongst the biscuits!