Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Nothing new . . .

Ally Pally today for my weekly group class. It doesn't look like I will be doing any level 5 stuff till after Christmas, as our coach is more of the sort to make sure you do things well before going onto the next level. It's a good thing, but it does mean that I haven't learnt anything new for about 6 weeks, nor likely to till January. Those crossovers will just have to wait . . .

So, back to today and lessons learnt.
Backward Skating with a Two Foot Glide: Generally as a class told to make sure that our bums aren't sticking out too much when doing the glide. Apparently this is to demonstrate that we can control our blades when gliding backwards, with them going dead parallel, rather than on inside or outside edges. I am okay on these I think, with my feet only a couple of inches apart. Backward skating is getting faster - probably about twice the speed of the rest of the group!
One foot glide on an outside edge: The coach picked up one thing today when I was doing RFO's (my problem side). She said that I was wrapping my free foot slightly around my skating ankle. She also advised that I make sure that I lift the free foot from a very close footed two foot glide - apparently I was bringing the free leg from behind me. This actually really helped, and atlhough this side is not as good as my LFO's, there is a definite improvement.
Continuous chasses in a circle: General tip today was to break it up in our heads. "Push, together, lift, together", to make sure we weren't pushing off from the chasse part.
Two foot turn, forward to back: Nothing particular said, apart from I musn't look so shocked when I turn! Very occasionally I over turn on these and lose my balance (although avoided a splat so far). Generally not bad though. I just need to get the flow into skating backwards from these.

And that was about that. I think the test will be in a fortnight's time, but it could be three weeks. And that will be that for lessons until after Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I am very much looking forward to skating at Somerset House Ice Rink in four weeks time with my work mates. We were talking about it today and on their website it says about skating holding someone's hand to build up confidence. My friend immediately said "I'm going with Amanda!". It's like being picked first for the sports team at school! I hope they are not expecting any groovy tricks though . . .

PS. I've actually started dreaming about skating now! In particular, I have a skating related anxiety dream. Isn't it supposed to be anxiety when you are trying to run, but can't get anywhere? Well, I am skating but the ice is really rough and sticky, it feels like skating through treacle, and I keep grinding to a halt with it taking serious effort to keep skating forward. Any dream decoders out there?!

82 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is frustrating that you are going to be stuck on the level 4 stuff until Christmas. Perhaps you could start the crossovers on your own at your practice session. By the way I did pass level 5 and am now on level 6 which I expect I will be doing up to Christmas and beyond - just the dreaded back chasses to contend with.

I am green with jealously that you are going to Somerset House - looks beautiful. I went to Leeds Ice Cube last year which is a good size outdoor rink but as it was half term it was very hectic. It was strange feeling the wind against you in one direction but pushing you along in the other. I'm not so sure about skating with another person. I did that once and ended up in a heap!

As for the dream - I can only say are you thinking of having your skates sharpened? When blades are over sharpened they feel as if they are stuck in the ice!

Amanda said...

I have been thinking about having my blades sharpened funnily enough! I will probably get them done in December after my test. I was also thinking about getting a Skatemate to try out.

Congratulations on passing level 5! I do have a confession to make - I have been trying to do little crossovers on the barrier. I have to remember as well that I skate three times a week - I don't think anyone else in my group does anything except the lesson. So I must be patient! It will all pay off in the end . . .

Anonymous said...

When I started working with my coach (about 14 months ago), he wouldn't let me do anythign but crossovers and edges for *months*. Not even 3turns or mohawks. I was so frustrated, but now I'm actually really grateful that he held me "back" and made sure I really had solid edges and crossovers. Oh and guess what. We STILL work edges and crossovers regularly and always will.
3turn

Amanda said...

I know from previous experience that it is highly valuable to spend lots of times on the basics, and just as importantly, to keep on practicing them as you progress. Just my innate sense of impatience really! Oh well, I guess I can last it out!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I used to have the same type of skating dreams as you do! In my dreams I'm doing all this fancy stuff (things I cannot do in real life yet) and then the ice starts to melt until I am just skating on whatever it is that is under ice. In the dream I'm in a compitition or in a show.

When I was a beginner, there was this older lady who would be doing ice dance moves while I was practicing crossovrs and two foot turns. She once skated up to me and said "I see you here all the time. Have you started dreaming about skating yet?" I thought that was so weird that she knew! I guess it happens to all of us at one point.

Amanda said...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I'm not actually doing anything tricky in my dream - at Ally Pally there's a really rough bit of ice that slows you down as you skate through it and in my dream it feels like the whole rink is like that, only worse. It's very strange!

Anonymous said...

tramadol 50mg tramadol 50 mg bivirkninger - tramadol generic fedex no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy ativan online much generic ativan - ativan withdrawal ringing ears

Anonymous said...

tramadol online tramadol hcl ld50 - buy tramadol online no prescription usa

Anonymous said...

ativan medication ativan dosage vs valium - ativan addiction warning signs

Anonymous said...

lorazepam without prescription ativan overdose death - lorazepam online kaufen

Anonymous said...

can you buy tramadol online tramadol online credit card - tramadol withdrawal signs

Anonymous said...

order klonopin online klonopin water soluble - 2mg klonopin and alcohol

Anonymous said...

tramadol online tramadol hcl and weed - tramadol hcl er

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online no prescription cheap tramadol withdrawal after one week - tramadol versus ultram

Anonymous said...

buy klonopin online cheap generic drug for klonopin - buy klonopin fedex

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online where to buy tramadol cod - need purchase tramadol

Anonymous said...

tramadol online generic brand of tramadol - buy tramadol 50mg online

Anonymous said...

generic ambien mail order ambien - ambien sleeping pill overdose

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online tramadol 50 mg buy - tramadol expiration

Anonymous said...

klonopin without prescription klonopin high effects - street price of klonopin 2mg

Anonymous said...

order soma foster people san diego soma tickets - soma bras albuquerque

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online tramadol online shop - buy tramadol cheap online no prescription

Anonymous said...

zolpidem online ambien cr for sleep - ambien cr indication

Anonymous said...

buy carisoprodol online soma grand parking - buy somatropin injection

Anonymous said...

klonopin online klonopin making anxiety worse - what are klonopin withdrawal symptoms

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol cheap buy tramadol in canada online - safe order tramadol online

Anonymous said...

ambien order legal buy ambien online - ambien cr high

Anonymous said...

generic soma buy discount soma online - soma drug fun

Anonymous said...

ativan pills cheap ativan online - buy ativan united states

Anonymous said...

klonopin without prescription klonopin 2mg a day - many milligrams klonopin overdose

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol in florida buy tramadol - tramadol hcl (zydol)

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online no prescription ambien cr snorting - ambien cr no prescription needed

Anonymous said...

tramadol online tramadol ingredients - buy tramadol online by cod

Anonymous said...

soma online soma 350 mg muscle relaxer - buy somatropin forum

Anonymous said...

buy cheap klonopin klonopin withdrawal uk - klonopin depression

Anonymous said...

ambien sale ambien 10mg generic - ambien drug sleep

Anonymous said...

generic ambien ambien cr online no prescription - ambien cr and pregnancy

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien qt prolongation - ambien positive drug test

Anonymous said...

buy carisoprodol online soma wireless bras - best place order soma

Anonymous said...

buy viagra 50mg buy viagra online next day delivery - viagra buy japan

Anonymous said...

order klonopin online klonopin 63 - klonopin nicknames

Anonymous said...

ambien online without rx ambien and alcohol together - ambien online safe

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol cod next day delivery buy tramadol line uk - the tramadol high

Anonymous said...

buy viagra online cheap viagra in usa - buy viagra online debit card

Anonymous said...

viagra online buy viagra canada - korean generic viagra

Anonymous said...

ambien sleep medication ambien cr rxlist - generic ambien and depression

Anonymous said...

mail order viagra online viagra for women name - cheap viagra gold

Anonymous said...

order viagra cheap buy viagra online in canada - buy viagra online overnight

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol saturday delivery normal dosage tramadol humans - buy tramadol montreal

Anonymous said...

buy viagra for women cheap viagra online pharmacy prescription - discount viagra online canada

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription ambien overdose effects body - ambien cr generic now

Anonymous said...

generic klonopin klonopin sublingual wafers - klonopin side effects go away

Anonymous said...

where can i buy ambien online ambien cr versus lunesta - ambien dosage wikipedia

Anonymous said...

buy soma much do soma cost street - soma employee discount

Anonymous said...

buy viagra dangers cheap viagra - buy viagra online from canadian pharmacy

Anonymous said...

buy viagra online no rx viagra online huhosp - generic viagra online+overnight shipping

Anonymous said...

klonopin pills 6 mg klonopin and alcohol - klonopin and alcohol and adderall

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online without prescription ambien causes high blood pressure - online ambien no prescription

Anonymous said...

generic cialis cialis yohimbe together - buy cialis viagra online

Anonymous said...

buy sildenafil online viagra online dr. fox - buy viagra online

Anonymous said...

buy soma online buy soma muscle relaxant online - what is soma 350 mg used for

Anonymous said...

buy viagra viagra online american express - viagra for women mayo clinic

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online can you buy tramadol otc - tramadol dose

Anonymous said...

buy viagra cheap online does viagra work on a full stomach - viagra online canada with prescription

Anonymous said...

cheapest viagra viagra dosage amounts - buy viagra from canada online

Anonymous said...

buy viagra professional online there generic viagra canada - buy viagra online australia paypal

Anonymous said...

soma online cheap soma - soma quality recordings

Anonymous said...

cheap sildenafil viagra online amazon - viagra buy chennai

Anonymous said...

order viagra generic buy viagra canada mastercard - viagra buy new zealand

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol with paypal tramadol hcl 50mg generic - tramadol hcl 50 mg can you get high

Anonymous said...

buy propecia online propecia 9 month results - generic propecia problems

Anonymous said...

buy viagra cheap online buy viagra cheap online no prescription - viagra online discover card

Anonymous said...

viagra online buy viagra for women - when is generic viagra going to be available

Anonymous said...

where to buy viagra online forum viagra online paypal - viagra 50mg dosage

Anonymous said...

buy cialis without doctor prescription cialis vs cialis professional - reviews for online cialis

Anonymous said...

viagra drug buy viagra online malaysia - to buy viagra online canada

Anonymous said...

legal buy tramadol online buy tramadol 100mg online - cheap tramadol overnight

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online tramadol dosage half life - tramadol 50mg yahoo

Anonymous said...

order propecia online is there generic propecia in the u.s - propecia results in women

Anonymous said...

tadalafil 20mg can i buy cialis over the counter in the uk - best quality generic cialis

Anonymous said...

buy viagra online viagra online cheap no prescription - where to buy viagra online australia