Friday, November 17, 2006

My Powers of Persuasion are failing

Below is a conversation that actually traversed about a week. It was to try and persuade my boss to come on the ice with us when we go to Somerset House Ice Rink in December. My boss is a very, very tall, heavily bearded man, who loves his real ale.

"P, we are going skating for our Christmas team thingamebob. Are you coming?"
"No. I'll watch"
"But it will be fun and everyone else is doing it. I'll hold you up if I have to, even though you are 6 foot 7 and over a foot taller than me"
"No."
"How about if we sponsor you to do it."
"No."
"But we could raise money for Children in Need" (here I provided a Pudsey Bear logo with blades photoshopped onto his feet).
"Urm - no."
"We have gone round the building and have collected a theoretical £250 with theoretical sponsorship. That was asking only seven people and the company would double it".
"No."
(wheedling tone) "But think of the poor lickle children!"
"Emotional blackmail won't work. No."
"But P, I have designed another special poster for you" - my boss's bearded head, superimposed onto a picture of Evgeni Plushenko and a pint of beer in his hand

At this stage, he declined to respond any more and has ignored me ever since on the subject of ice skating and him.

I would like to mention that the same man had his ENTIRE HEAD shaved (that's right, hair, beard, eyebrows and any other stray bits lurking around) for charity. He has skated before, so I can only deduce that he had a really, really bad experience.

The good side is that my Photoshop skills are coming along nicely!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you able to post your photoshopped photo? It sounds amusing :)

Amanda said...

I could, but think I will have to ask his permission first.

I will see what I can do!

Anonymous said...

The "boss's bearded head, superimposed onto a picture of Evgeni Plushenko and a pint of beer in his hand" sounds wonderful!

Hmmm, I have Photoshop. Perhaps I should create image with me superimposed into Alexei Yagudin's arms in a lovely Kilian hold... :-)

Amanda said...

. . . and frame it for your future grandchildren :-)

I am trying to persuade him to let me publish the picture on my blog, but no luck so far unfortunately!