Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sweet (Minty) Dreams

I really enjoyed my lesson today, which surprised me as I felt practically suicidal all day, due to, um, girl issues. Never been like this before, but for most of the day I felt really low, and like I was going to burst into tears at any moment (in fact, I did have tears on my cheeks at one point). Goodness knows what was going on, but I do feel much better now. I have had some mild SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in the past, so will keep an eye on myself, but hopefully it's just hormonal! My tummy and lower back has been sore all day too, but that was also helped by skating this evening. I remember dancing always used to help anything like that, or headaches - simply sweat it off!

Today we covered the usual Level 4 stuff:
Backward Skating with a Two Foot Glide: My backward skating is getting faster and faster now - although this is sometimes a little scary! I was also told that I need to put my feet right next to each other when doing the two foot glide.
FO's: As before, LFO's are going well, RFO's not so much. Thank you to 3turn for leaving a few tips on my last post, particularly the "knee over little toe" tip from Mrs Redboots. I joined this with the pointing the toe of my free foot in - I can feel how these will help and I am noticing a little more curve now (rather than a straight line!) but I think this will take more practice to adjust my balance with the new points.
Two Foot Turn from Forward to Back: these are going well now. They used to be frustrating, but I am getting these 95% of the time. And managing to continue skating backwards - although I do have to be careful that after my turn, my weight is not too far forward, as when I start skating, I occasionally toepick myself. I was also wondering if this is what a Mohawk is, or is this a two foot turn but done on the curve?
Forward Chasses: As I think I said once before, I enjoy doing these. The only problem I have with doing these things in a big circle with the rest of the group, is that I seem to go faster than everybody else. I don't know if this is down to less nerves because I skate more than the rest of them, but it can be difficult as I have to keep stopping and starting. I know it is good to have control, but surely there is a difference between control, and grinding to a halt doing a one foot glide?

My confidence was really boosted today, as the coach came up to me and asked if I had done ballet. She said that the way I "hold" myself is very impressive, and I always know how to put my arms "just so". Just for a bit of history, I went to a vocational ballet school for five years to train professionally, until I was sixteen (this one) but I decided to pursue a more academic career after a back injury and always being slightly curvier than your standard ballerina, so teaching ballet would have been my only option. However, this very intensive training early in my life has stayed with me, and as a result I have retained a lot of flexibility (although this is partly genetic), and it has really helped with other things I have pursued, eg. karate and skating, both with things like poise and posture, and also being able to follow physical instructions. We shall see in the forthcoming months and years how much this continues to help with the skating. The other good thing is that skating can't possibly gnarl up my feet any more than pointe work already has done!

Mouse Update: No more mice found. I did hear one in my bedroom on Monday night and had to sleep with the light one (I know, I am a complete wuss) but I had a blissfully silent night last night. This may be due to the fact that I found out that Peppermint Oil is supposedly a natural mouse repellant. As a result, my bedroom now smells just like a Polo mint (well, I suppose it could be a lot worse!), and I have started minting the kitchen too. I have to say that my dear colleagues at work, who I turned to for help and reassurance, were neither of the above as they started discussing how mice could even run across your face at night. Yeah, thanks guys . . . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 foot turns are hard. I actually quit skating (the first time, 9 years ago) because I couldn't get that skill! Keep at it. They prepare you for 3turns, which is a 2 foot turn done on 1 foot, if that makes any sense. Make sure you understand the down up down and what the upper body is supposed to do, because that's actually more important than what your feet are doing.

A mohawk is diferent - for an inside mohawk, you are going forward on say your RFI edge, you rotate your upper body strongly into the circle, you turn out your free leg/hip/foot, and place it at your instep, at at least a 90D angle, plie, set it down, and now you are going backwards on a L inside edge.

3turn

Amanda said...

Thank you for clarifying that 3turn - I think I must have read some really unclear description of a mohawk and thought "hmm, isn't that what I have been doing?!". Not at all, I see that now :-)

I think I am getting the down up down pretty well now. Lessons have been slightly less clear about the upper body - only really saying that you start turning into it, including turning your head, before you start turning the feet.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to do ballet. I still do because I know that it will benefit my skating but I'm scared of being the only adult in a class of toddlers. I couldn't find any beginning adult ballet classes anywhere. You are lucky to have that knowledge already within you.

Oh, and Josie/Penelope/Doris is such a grown-up, sassy young lady now! Maybe you could put her to work as a "mouser" :)
She needs to earn her keep!

Amanda said...

I agree with you Mandi - I am very lucky to have that experience already. I think it has helped me gain confidence much more quickly on the ice, and also helps the way I use my upper body and arms. I wouldn't mind going back to an adult ballet class though.

Josie etc is quite grown up now - even more so now! Mind you, she is still only about mouse size!!

Anonymous said...

Hi found your site today and was reassured to find people going through the same experience as myself as an adult skater. I have cracked the LFO 3 turn but the RFO 3 is taking time because I keep putting my left foot down on the ice afterwards. Upper body rotation is definitely the key to turns - I will keep persevering with the mohawk but haven't got past the stage of putting left foot to right instep at 90 degree angle yet. Like Amanda I take classes but have the same problem that I am faster at forward crossovers than the other people and keep having to stop and start which is frustrating.

Amanda said...

Thank you for your comment "Anonymous"! I haven't got as far as 3 turns and am just about to start crossovers, but not far behind!

It is frustrating to not be able to do things at speed in a circle, but everyone learns at their own pace, and I think speed is one of the most frightening things for a beginner (maybe I am just a little kamikaze :-D)

Anonymous said...

Well, 3-turns and mohawks are related in a way...when I was first learning mohawks (funny, it wasn't very long ago at all!) my coach said that I wasn't getting a good enough "t-position" and so I wound up doing, essentially, a kind of 3-turn with a change of foot!

Mohawks are fun once you get them, but my weak side (for mohawks, that's the left) is lagging behind, as usual...