Sunday, November 19, 2006

Anarchy on Ice

I had to really struggle today to keep my temper. It was a shame, because I was really looking forward to skating today - I was ill last night (I think I might be allergic to champagne - a serious headache, going hot and clammy, and being sick after only two glasses), and felt so relieved to feel normal this morning, that skating sounded like a wonderful idea.

So what made me nearly lose my temper today?

  • Hockey kids, racing around the ice
  • Hockey kids launching themselves off the barrier just as I am passing (literally, he brushed me as he leapt off the side in front of me) to jump over their mate who is lying on the ice in the middle of the rink
  • A steward on the ice, for approximately 10 minutes of the hour I was skating
  • A steward, ignoring completely the behaviour of anyone there
  • Tiny children being left by their parents to totter across the ice, across the path of anyone. I think it's great to see little 'uns on the ice, but surely, surely they should be under the supervision of their parents.
Oh well, that's my rant over for today. Because of the lack of etiquette going on at the rink today, I didn't really manage to practice much. Mostly forward stroking, some two foot turns and some FO's. I have come to the conclusion that the reason my LFO's are so much better than my RFO's is because I can practice them so much more when being forced to skate in a counter-clockwise direction all the time!

The nice thing is, is that the next three work weeks are short ones for me, so I can hit Ally Pally ice during the week. I can't wait after todays mayhem . . .

The other good thing to happen is that S (flatmate / best friend) has just discovered this book from Gordon Ramsay. So her and her boyfriend are cooking up, as I type, rainbow trout, honey glazed carrots, potatoes with chorizo and cauliflower cheese, followed by strawberry and peach crumble. Well, if they insist . . . !

5 comments:

Amanda said...

PS. The meal was faaaabulous!

Anonymous said...

I can symphasise with your plight on Sunday. I refuse to go to sessions where there are hockey kids now having had so many near misses with them including, as you say, launching themselves off the barrier in front of you but also weaving between you and the person you are skating round with. Why do they have to make a point of zooming through the one foot gap between you and a friend when the rest of the ice is free? Also one once did a hockey stop right slap bang in front of me spraying me from head to foot in ice!! The ice marshalls are no better - often no older than school leavers themselves - and at our rink they seem to join in with the hockey kids rather than do their job.

By the way the meal sounded delicious - lucky you!! Made up for the bad session at the rink.

Amanda said...

Yes - the WEAVING! Honestly, it's enough to make me foam at the mouth :-)

Glad I'm not the only one who gets in a huff about it. Makes me sound a little more reasonable!

Anonymous said...

I have practically stopped skating on weekends because of the fear of being mowed down by a little bear on hockey skates. I have a shoulder that needs surgery already, and I don't particularly want to damage anything else! :p

One skating complex in my city has a good policy -- there are two rinks at the facility, and one is for hockey only, and one is for figure skating only.

P.S. YUM!!

Amanda said...

Oh wow - two separate rinks sounds like heaven!

And yes, it was YUM . . . next time it is my turn to cook, I'm going to have to up the ante!