Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Onto Rhythm Blues - just!

Lesson time this evening - I had a good lesson, but with a few ditzy moments in the dances!

Anyway, starting from the beginning:
FXO & BXO Fig 8: Not too bad. D has told me I can do the connecting mohawk on the other foot, but still not happening at speed! Now my BXO's are nice and flowy (for me anyway!), I really, really want to start getting my confidence up on these, so I can relax into them.
Forward Edges: Much better now with the knee passing through, which has helped a lot with not swerving off the inside edges. I want to work on the power pushing into these now.
Open and closed chasse's: I was turning my feet out a little too much. I still don't like these very much, but getting better! The open chasse's are fine, as long as I don't disregard them and forget that I shouldn't be pushing on the lift!
Barrel Rolls: I think I was rushing these today, as they were a bit rubbish and I know I can do them much better! Practiced them quite a lot afterwards, and took my time, and can now do the requisite three in a row IF I take my time on them for the time being.
Waltz 3's: Added some nice arms to these today which was nice! It's funny thinking about how much grief I had with 3-turns - I don't even think about it now!
Forward Crossrolls: A bit toey on one side, but felt quite nice to me. I need to bend my knees more as I cross.
Backward Crossrolls: D told me today these are LEVEL 4 or 5 or thereabouts!! No wonder I struggle with them :) Most of my problems seem to be from leaning too far forward. So far I had always done these with the "magic hands" - today she MADE me do two on my own. Hmmm - one was on its own, and the other ended with 'gentle' hand resting . . . Still, it's a start!
Backward Progressives: A new thing! And I quite liked these - much easier and smoother than I expected them to be.
Novice Foxtrot: Good pattern today - my spacing is much better and the flow between sequences is nice and smooth. Just need to focus a little on my left FXO's that the foot doesn't slip round.
Canasta Tango: Pattern the first time round was a little small - partly cos of my first ditzy moment of forgetting the slip chasse. How many times have I done this?! Second time was much better. Trying to get more power on the crossroll though, as I tend to slow down quite drastically after doing it.
Rhythm Blues: Got to run through this once, and yes - I had learnt it all on the bus, I have done it loads of times in my head, and then had another completely ditzy moment! Still very unsure about the cross-behinds, but D says we shall spend a lot of time on this next week and I can do it with cross-rolls for the time being when I am practicing. The rest of it was actually not bad! I like the timing on this - it makes me think :)

So yet another packed lesson, and practiced some crossrolls and barrel rolls afterwards before heading home.

I am trying a new recipe now, which will be ready in 13 minutes (can you tell I'm hungry?!) which is Sticky Ginger Chicken with Noodles and Pak Choi. How nice does that sound! And very healthy, of course :) Let me know if you want the recipe!!

7 comments:

Clare O said...

Oooh, that sounds yummy, I'd love the recipe please :)

I had the Golden Skaters Waltz thrown at me today which was, um, fun...

Amanda said...

Oooh - not tried that one yet! What new scary steps does that have in it? I had a look at the pattern and it says something about a wide step? And I can't decipher the RC and DC, but I am having a particularly ditzy day and it's probably blindingly obvious!

If you email me on the link at the top right, I'll send you the recipe. It was very tasty :)

Anonymous said...

I may have already said this, but it bears repeating - FLEX your free foot on the chasses and cross behinds. Not only does it look sharper, but it really helps in setting it down on a smooth edge, and also, you know, not jabbing the toepick in the ice and killing yourself.
3turn

Amanda said...

Thank you 3turn - succinctly put
:D

As it is the thing I most fear, I'm surprised I haven't given myself cramp yet with the amount of flex I am putting in that foot!!!

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Actually back cross-rolls used to be level 3 dance moves; now they're in level 2 skating moves - you do 1/2 lap of forward x-rolls, then turn while you're running round the end and do 1/2 lap back x-rolls.

Although I have my level 2 (got credited with L 2 dance moves a few years ago), coach1 still makes me practice this exercise.

Amanda said...

OMG - you mean that is the next test after my Level 1 Field Moves (and other Level 1 stuff)? Looks like they will be biting me in the bum sooner than I thought then!

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Yeah, but you'll be well ready for them by then!