Wednesday, January 09, 2008

First lesson of the new year

I was delighted to be back into lessons today, although my legs felt the work more than they normally do! Mind you, that could be because I spent about an hour yesterday evening doing stretching exercises.

I started off with the usual perimeter stroking, and yes, my forward crossovers were hacked to pieces. That bloody foot is still pointing in the wrong direction - aaargh! They really are turning into my bete noir. I think they are happening correctly a little more often now though - I really need to hammer away at them one session.

We then ran through the entire Level 1 Field Moves:
Forward Curves: Didn't have quite the control that I was getting on these before Christmas, but hopefully these will sort themselves out. However, bringing the leg through feels much smoother - I mostly have to remember to push the hip out over my skating leg on the inside edges, otherwise I swerve right in. And I mustn't leave my bum sticking out!
Backward Crossovers into Landing Position: I am still a little nervous about BXO's but every time I can do them I can feel the confidence growing. I need to start working on speed though. However, this was rather helped today by doing the last few and then the landing position going down a slope!
Forward and Backward Crossovers: Not bad. I am not losing control of the circle so much now on the backward crossovers - again its about speed and confidence now. And that foot on the FXO's! Trying very hard to turn the leg in from the hip, but frustrating me!
Spirals: Yay - I did my first spirals today! I luuuuuurve doing these! She did a couple with me but then I was quite happy practicing them on my own after my lesson. It's nice to find something that doesn't scare me! When D was nearby I am quite happy to lift my leg above my hip - it is not quite reaching there when I do them on my own, but that will come with time.

We then went onto:
Mohawks: After having issues with the "extended" type before Christmas, we spent quite a lot of time on these. And I was happy when they started working, not just with my coach, but when practicing afterwards as well. A lot of my issues appear to be not keeping my weight over the top of my skating leg after the turn (instead falling into the circle). Knowing that has helped tremendously and I am really pleased with progress on these.
Forward Russian Stroking: Foot. FXO. Direction. Crap. Otherwise not bad :)
Backward Russian Stroking: D spoke to me down the whole length of the rink about something else and I'll tell you something - distraction works a treat! Fairly fast and smooth and really quite comfortable!
Backward Crossrolls: I have gone from "Bwaaahahahaha - you're joking!" to "Hmmm, maybe they can work!". Still doing them with a helping hand, but each time I do them they make a little more sense.
Novice Foxtrot: Only time for one dance this evening, and to be honest it felt a bit rubbish. But faster. Maybe that's a good thing. But I felt a wee bit unbalanced on the swings. I presume it's just down to not having skated for a couple of weeks, but I know I need to get my blades sharpened as well.

I then came home, cooked dinner for myself and Stacey who had come round (we have plans to take it turns to cook a healthy meal once a week to try out new recipes) and we sat down and I started making her wedding tiara! It's lovely working with all these beautiful materials (freshwater pearls, sterling silver wire, Swarovski crystals etc), but that wiring doesn't half make your hands sore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

What exactly is Russian Stroking. I asked my coach at my lesson on Monday and he looked at me blankly and said he had no idea. I thought that was a bit strange as I have noticed a lot of people talk about it on their blogs so I just assumed he would be able to tell me!

Amanda said...

It's basically alternating forward crossovers and inside edges.

This pattern should help explain it better than I could!

http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/RussianStroking.jpg