First skate of 2008
Finally, after nearly 3 weeks off it, I got back on the ice today with a big mental sigh of relief. What with one thing and another, I haven't been able to make patches in the evenings and have avoided public sessions, because . . . well, its holiday season!
Today was mostly just about getting my skates back under me again. Although, on the whole, and this being longest time I have been away from the ice, it all felt pretty good. I didn't do anything spectacular (too busy for one thing), but lots of stroking, playing around on edges and the such.
The other day, I saw on TV the "Dancing On Ice Live Tour 2007" and spent most of it scrutinising the pro's feet, in particular forward crossovers, where my feet doesn't want to point in the right direction. Applied the theories today, and they felt pretty good, considering I haven't done them in a couple of weeks! Speedier, smoother and more poised. Although I am sure my coach will pull them to bits on Wednesday :)
Went through all my 3-turns - my weakest ones (RFI3's) were a little scrapy, but all still working . . phew! I was terrified that everything would have disappeared - irrational I know, but hey! Mohawks were also significantly better than the last time I skated, when I was getting frustrated with them. Not brilliant, but better. I found that just emphasizing how much I turn within my arms after the turn makes it feel much more secure. I love that about skating - a tiny alteration can make such a massive difference!
Did a bit of backward stroking (not bad - trying to get more power into it now), some backward sustained outside and inside edges and some power pushes. Looking at it, it wasn't a bad skate really!
I hope you all got what you wanted from Father Christmas this year? I got some fab curling tongs with interchangeable heads (having recently had my very thick hair cut from below waist length to shoulder length). My coach in an email said that she thought it would be good for competition - half up, half down with ringletty curls. I don't think completely practical - it took me an hour and a half to do the other night! And I would probably burn my scalp with my nervous shaky hands . . . . maybe heated rollers will be better for that :)


No comments:
Post a Comment