Hell has frozen over
The Dancing On Ice mania has officially hit the ice rinks. The Littlest Rink today was horrendous. Filled with kids, adults and chavs on hockey skates. Yay . . .
I only skated for about 45 minutes, but managed to find a quiet corner for a little while. My main aim today was to get lots of mohawk practice in, so the FO mohawks I cracked the other day aren't a complete fluke. And luckily, they aren't! In fact, they are feeling increasingly secure, and it has tremendously helped my FI mohawks as well!! So at least that was some progress today, on the "Hell has now frozen over" ice rink. Still not fast, but the technique is so much better, and speed will come in time.
Having remembered the steps for the Rhythm Blues in my head at least (I am so glad I have always had a head for choreography!), I tried the cross-behinds on the barrier today. I am guessing it is like a slip chasse but crossing behind before slipping? I kind of get it, but I don't know how my nerve will stand it in the dance. I guess that the faster you slip the free foot forward after the cross, the easier it is? Any tips for these would be gratefully received :)
I had no room to do anything else, apart from a few desultory FXO's to try and increase the underpush. But they were so sporadic (one at each end basically), that it wasn't even worth the time. The rest of the time was spent skating agonisingly slowly and trying to avoid pillocks (now in my head called "Twats in Hats" of the baseball variety) who were playing tag as fast as they could, regardless of the direction and who might be in their way. Sigh . . . .


13 comments:
In re the cross-behinds, bend your knees and don't rush them!
I'm struggling with FO Mohawks, as Coach2 wants us to put a barrel roll in our free dance to get us round any corners we may find, which I haven't actually done, as yet! I can do an outside mohawk after a fashion, but it's very much after a fashion!
Thanks Mrs R - I'll remember that
:)
Barrel rolls are on the Bronze level of the Dance Passport - I hated them until this week, when D helped me crack the FO mohawks, and I really like them now! It ended up being purely a case of rotating my upper body right round (I was doing some weird thing of trying to leave my body where it was, while my legs turned underneath me!). I can't do the barrel rolls very fast, mind you!!
Not having had to do the passport, I haven't really learnt them properly, although I do know how they are done (if that makes sense); it's really a matter of practice, but I do struggle a bit on that Foxtrot mohawk.
Luckily I have not done that Foxtrot yet!
Barrel rolls - happening. Mohawks at speed - not so much . . .
:)
No, but at least you can already do that Mohawk, as it's the one used in barrel rolls (RBO to LBO). Which gives you a head start when you get that far!
The other tip with the cross-behinds, by the way, is to lift your toes up, so you don't stick your toe-pick in by mistake, which is horribly easy to do!
I really appreciate the tips - I'm actually quite worried about them.
Can I just hack my toepicks off?!
:)
Don't be - they're not that hard. In the Golden Skaters' Waltz, you cross in front, and then behind, which is easier - you could try that. Do a crossover, but leave your foot behind, then rock your weight back on to it. Anyway, DE will show you exactly how to do them, and what exercises to do, so you needn't worry.
are you really working FO mohawks already? good job!!!
3turn
I am, although they are not yet as "outside" as they should be!
But I like doing them - and after the blockage I originally had, I actually find them easier than the FI variety.
Unsurprisingly, I still couldn't do any kind of bloody mohawk if my life depended on it, which, luckily, it doesn't!
Those cross behinds terrified me for the first couple of attempts on the barrier but then- and this is coming from the person who is scared of everything -when I tried them away from the barrier and with a bit of speed, I found them much easier.
I'm a bit weird, I really am.
No weirder than me - I practice mohawks whilst I'm waiting for the coffee machine at work . . .
"pillock"? "chav"? Please define for us 'murricans... thanks!
FO Mohawk... whoohoo! I can't do them, they scare the daylights out of me.
Just for you Gordon (and 3turn perhaps!)
1. Pillock: "A person who is not very bright. These words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence."
2. Chav: I shall here point you to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
Post a Comment