Monday, September 11, 2006

Two Glides Forward, One Glide Back

It felt a bit like that today - I didn't fall or stumble at all, but kept having the sensation that I was going to fall backwards. It was quite offputting.

On the good side, my balances on one leg are getting much better - I think my efforts in doing longer strokes forward on alternating legs is paying off as my one foot glides can be done faster and for longer. In fact, going faster seems to make it easier.

Didn't really try the skating backwards thing today (I know, I'm a coward!). What I did do was experiment with my weight distribution while at the side of the rink. You can actually sit quite far back on your blades simply because they extend that little bit behind you. As long as you are moving, I imagine you wouldn't fall on your back. We shall soon see at the lesson on Wednesday!

Managed a couple of (very slow) snow plough stops today as well. Not with the "schooping", just the feet in a reverse V shape (toes together). It seriously works your thigh muscles, just to stop your feet colliding!

Have skated now three days in a row, so will have a rest tomorrow night, mostly to let my feet recover. Still aching in my boots, but still wearing off after a length of time.

Looking forward to lesson number 2 on Wednesday!

No comments: