Lesson 2
It felt today like the practice I have done over the last week had paid off. I am slowly beginning to feel more secure on my blades, although far from being "unwobbly"! And to get on the lovely smooth ice today after the potholes I have been skating around in my practice sessions was sooooooo nice!
New things we covered today:
Forward Stroking: We actually spent some time on just skating forward and getting our technique right, starting from a T and pushing with the inside edge of the back foot. I think I must have been using my toepicks to get going previously rather too much, as starting was quite difficult. However, all the time I have spent just doing forward stroking over the last week seems to have really helped as it feels like I am getting into a nice rhythm now.
Forwards and Backwards Sculling (Lemons): Much to my surprise, especially after my disastrous attempts at backwards skating last week, it is much easier to do this backwards than forwards. Going forwards I tend to grind to a complete halt, where as backwards I can keep going and get into a good rhythm. Apparently this is fabulous for your inner thighs and bum! If I keep practising the backward "lemons", I should hopefully start to build up my confidence in going backwards.
One foot glide on a curve (inside edges): We were all put on one of those big circles on the ice hockey markings, and we had to glide on one foot using our inside edges to keep to the curve as much as possible. I didn't find this too hard, as my balance on one foot glides is slowly getting better. It is surprising though just how little you need to go on the edge to curve.
Two Foot Jump: After I realised he wasn't having a laugh after announcing we were going to attempt this, I was quite surprised to learn that it isn't quite as hard as you expect. True, I was barely gliding foward when I tried it, but as long as you absolutely ensure that you land on the flat of the blade and nowhere near the toepick, it is not too bad. Okay, so I only jumped about 3mm into the air, but still . . . . it was a jump! Don't think I will be attempting any triple axels for a while though!
Apart from that, it was just things we covered last week, and the 15 minute practice session, during which, I am glad to say, my dignity was not compromised this week by falling on my arse again.
Feet weren't too bad - I was expecting them to be much worse, considering how many times I have skated over the last week. I had to shake them out a couple of times, but the leather over my little toes (which were going numb before) seems to be softening a little, and my arches weren't too bad. Skating actually seems to stop them hurting, it is when standing still on the ice that I feel them. I have decided to order some Scholl Gel Arch Supports to see if they help - I will report back with my findings! I know from years of ballet training that my arches are quite high, but stretchy ligaments run in the family so when I am standing, they go quite flat.
That's it for tonight - I am off to bed to rest my weary legs and feet. Till next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment