Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First Steps

Welcome to my blog! This blog is dedicated to my new hobby, figure skating and will track my progress. As we speak, I am sitting here with aching muscles and an attractive bruise on my right wrist, but more of that later!

I did figure skating for a while, 20 years ago, when I was somewhat more fearless than I am now. Falling on the ice didn't hold the same fear as it does now, nor the same distance to fall!

My mate and I started skating a couple of months ago, and finally got around to booking a course so as to learn the proper skills and make it more interesting than skating in the never-ending circle, beseiged by tiny hockey terrorists that is the standard public session at your local ice rink. So feeling quite excited, this evening we made our way up to the skating rink for our first lesson on the UK Learn to Skate course.

LESSON 1

As we made our way iceside, we were taunted with the vision of lithe (actually, skinny) young girls, twirling and leaping on the ice, on the previous patch ice session. Maybe one day we'll be allowed onto that hallowed frozen water . . .

Waiting patiently, we eventually were called up to the top partitioned area of ice with the other beginners. As the ones before us stepped very gingerly onto the ice, gripping onto the barrier as though their life depended on it, I have to admit that S and I did rather saunter onto the ice, doing little glides to try and make it look as though we were naturals, even overtaking the barrier clutchers, looking nonchalant.

It worked! We were the first two in the group to be put up a level. The comforting barrier was removed from within reach and we were marooned in the middle of the ice.

In the lesson we covered:

Standing and Sitting on the Ice: Quite straightforward to get the hang of, and something that was going to come in very useful later on when I started tumbling all over the place.
Stepping Around On The Spot: part of Level 1, just marching around on the spot.
Two Foot Glide and Dip: another part of Level 1, gliding forward with parallel feet and bending down to touch your toes.
Snow Plough Stops: Onto Level 2 stuff and what can I say! These were a complete nightmare for me. While S was there, skidding her blades up and down the ice like an icehockey pro, my blades were juddering up and down, as if they had been superglued to the ice. Whenever I (tentatively) tried to do these away from the barrier, I just kept drifting on and on, only coming to a stop after circling about three times. Totally hopeless! I have however learnt that having newly sharpened blades can make it hard - I really hope this is true! I need to find coins or a piece of wood to run my blades up.
Moving Backwards: This was fun but hard, and also where I took my first tumble. However, it was made easier when an advanced skater gave us the tip of keeping our eyes on the horizon, rather than looking at our feet. Unfortunately I lost control near the barrier and did a spectacular banana skin trip onto my backside. The coach from way over the other side of the ice then bellowed "Are you alright? Is there any blood?". It probably wouldn't have been too embarrassing without that! Luckily I didn't hurt myself apart from a rather attractive bruise on my wrist that looks like I have been handcuffed. I took another couple of falls during the evening as well, but I already know that if I skate when tired, my toepicks just don't want to leave the ice!

Two Foot Glide on a Curve: A bit like slaloming on ice, using your edges to curve one way then the other with your feet parallel. Just give us some skis and poles, and we could have gone cross-country skiing!
Forward One Foot Glide (Straight Line): Became easier to balance after a couple of attempts. However, I am still drifting off to one side, so need to check my blades are straight on the ice.

Well that was it for the first lesson. I was pleased to note that my insteps, which normally start aching after about 15 minutes, actually stopped hurting after about another 15 as I skated through the discomfort. Another bonus I noticed was that where I had always concentrated quite hard on my feet when stroking forwards, when concentrating on new techniques I wasn't even thinking about it. I am definitely feeling a little more comfortable on the ice now.

I am aching in some odd places - my biceps, pecs under my ribs at the front and under my shoulder blades. I guess I was holding my posture a little more rigidly than normal. I can't wait to get back on the ice though and will try and go within the next couple of days to practice my new moves! Think that access to that patch session might be a little way off though. No escape from the miniature hockey ninjas just yet then . . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder........how do they clean blood off the ice? It must be especially tricky if it sinks in and melts the ice.

Do they just fill it in with fresh ice and hope it doesn't look too pink?

Amanda said...

Luckily I haven't had any reason to find this out yet :-) I've never noticed any blood spots on the ice either - maybe the cold stems the flow . . .