On Edge (s) . . .
Last night was Lesson 4, and I am sure that the numbers are dwindling already. I suppose that is natural with most courses though. We didn't learn any new things today, just went over things we have already covered, which was good.
One of the things we covered in most detail was edges, namely one foot glides on the outside edge. We were given hints and tips on this from two coaches - our normal one, and one of the other regular coaches who is also very good. She made us do two foot glides on a curve, and then transfer all the weight over to the skating leg, before lifting the other one. We had to turn the free leg out from the hip (which is really easy for me, from ballet) and really hold ourselves rigid. And the most important thing I learnt was: BEND THE KNEES!
I have read a number of times on the Skating Forums that it is all about knee bending, but had not appreciated until today, just how much. Fortunately, having done shotokan karate for a while (and hopefully again soon, once I have found a new club), I have learnt all about bending knees, so it seems I just have to combine martial arts with skating and I will be set - as long as I don't forget myself and start trying to do roundhouse kicks on the ice!
Today I was off work, and went to a bookshop down in Islington. Whilst I was there, I saw the book that I am waiting to be delivered, and had a quick browse to see what it says about stopping. I have decided to focus on one-footed snowploughs, and practiced what I had read on the ice this evening. And do you know what - they worked! I am still wary about doing them, but I was stopping! The book also has lots of drills and exercises to carry out to improve technique, so am definitely looking forward to a closer read.
I am off work for the rest of the week now, so will skate tomorrow and Friday morning, as the ice should be really quiet, (bar kids playing truant that is). It should be a good chance to practice without worrying about barging into other people.


2 comments:
I find the one-foot snowplow stops much easier than the two-foot variety and it's the stop I use te most. Just wait until they make you learn backwards snowplow stop :)
I am defintely finding them much easier.
Funnily enough, my coach mentioned backwards snowploughs last night. He also said they were easy. I'm not inclined to believe him just yet!
Post a Comment