Bumpy Ride
Off for a practice at a public skating session this morning. This is a much smaller rink than the one we go for our lessons, and in comparison the ice is a disgrace. I don't think it can have been resurfaced for about a decade!
As I felt so insecure on the bumpy ice, I concentrated mostly today just on forward stroking. I was trying to make sure that my strokes were nice, long and even and not gliding on two feet between strokes. It is feeling a lot more balanced and smooth now.
I did a few things that we learnt the other day. I was seriously happy when I tried a snow plough and my skates schooped effortlessly across the ice! Thanks have to go to www.skatingforums.com where I read that sometimes snow ploughs are difficult on very recently sharpened blades and to dull them with a coin or on wood. Top tip - worked a treat!
Tried to practice backwards stroking using the barrier but found this was really hard and again, the bumpy ice didn't help. As a result, decided to practice this back on the big ice rink on Wednesday where the ice is much smoother. However, I may go skating tomorrow (as well as Monday) so if the ice has been resurfaced, we shall see.
Didn't do much else apart from a bit of "slaloming" on my edges. I am getting some quite sharp curves in now - well for me, anyway! Left the ice after about 30 minutes, as the testosterone levels of adolescent boys showing off to the girls went through the roof.
At least I didn't fall on my a*$e this time!!


No comments:
Post a Comment