Tired today
Was a bit worn out today, probably not helped by staying out late last night at a work leaving do. Luckily no hangover this morning - I don't think I am quite ready to skate with a hangover - but tired all the same.
I tried a lunchtime session in the hope that it would be quieter, but no such luck. Not that it was terribly busy but still enough kids to warrant not trying things like going backwards or spinning.
Today I concentrated on forward stroking (as always), forward sculling - getting easier each time I do it, and one foot glides on a straight line. They are also improving quite well, and reaching the required 3 seconds, with only a slight curve at the end.
I also made quite an effort today to practice stopping. So now I can do a snowplough stop, as long as I am moving quite slowly. But at least I am stopping! Hopefully, I should just be able to build up the speed each time I skate.
Over the past few days I have been doing releves (a ballet exercise) both two and one legged to strengthen my ankles and feet. Anywhere I have been standing still basically - at the bus stop, at the sandwich bar, in the pub. No wonder I have been getting some strange looks . . . Apart from waking up this morning with terrible cramp in my right calf (not a particularly nice way to wake up!) it appears to be working. Hardly any achiness in my feet at all today - yay! I was even able to put the original felt insoles back into my skates today, that I had taken out after about the second time of wearing them! It is much more comfortable than the bare bottom of the skate.
I guess I will have to find some other use for the gel arch supports I bought as it doesn't look like I will need them. Any suggestions gratefully received!


3 comments:
Hi Amanda,
I found your link on 3turn's journal. Welcome to the world of adult figure skating. It sounds like you are make quite a bit of progress already and that you are already addicted! I read that your coach thought about advanceing you a few levels. Congrats! When I started almost two years ago, the coaches advanced me quickly through the different levels. However, because I "progressed" so quickly, I missed out on a lot of technique. For example, I could "do" a three turn but my technique was poor. So as long as you pay close attention to technique (which it sounds like you are doing) you should be able to skip through the different levels with no problem and advance quickly. I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck!!!!!!
Thank you for your message Mandi - yes, when I do my "practice" sessions, I am concentrating more on the very basics, rather than the more difficult things.
And yes, I am quite addicted already. When I am not skating, I am thinking about when I next can go skating!!
It starts as an addiction and turns into an obsession. I added you to my list of adult skater journals. It will be in my newly styled figure skating journal which I'll be putting out later today. The new link is :
http://ahhskating.livejournal.com/
Post a Comment