Monday, September 25, 2006

Happy (achey) feet!

I had a nice skate today, and now my feet are pleasantly aching. I'm beginning to quite enjoy the sensation - much like I used to get from ballet and more recently, karate. I think I must be quite a strange person sometimes.

Unfortunately, the rink was quite busy, even though it was the "quiet" session. Instead of the hockey kamikaze kids, you had the children who couldn't skate very well but still thought they were the hockey kamikaze kids. The dread of hearing a boy, whose blades are at a 45 degree angle, scraping along the ice with the occasional face plant, yelling "OI, WANNA RACE ME?!" to his mates. Sigh . . .

Practiced a fair bit today - lots of forward stroking, lots of sculling, one foot glides (balance is getting pretty good now), forward chasses, stops (why are these SUCH a nightmare for me? Any hints and tips gratefully received) and even the odd spin. These weren't hugely successful but we did only touch on them on last Wednesday's lesson.

Looking forward to my book turning up. Hopefully that will have some guidance on stopping - my biggest concern at the moment!

No comments: