Troll City
Well, after a couple of not bad practices on Wednesday and Thursday, today was almost a complete write-off. My feet didn't want to know, and there were little $%@'s on hockey skates everywhere!!! I had a brief chat with A Certain Celebrity from last year's Dancing On Ice about how impossible it all was - you can't do much, cos you know that they can't 'read' what you are doing.
3-turns & mohawks: Were there just about. Somewhat abysmal compared to the last couple of days, so I left them pretty much alone.
Russian Stroking: This was one thing I was quite pleased with, as I am getting nice big, semicircles on these now, and the FXO's are pushing off in the right direction, ie. at 90 degrees to the direction of travel.
FXO's: Okay - I am beginning to feel the lean into the circle now. Still can't fit in eight on the circle though!
Novice Foxtrot: I had about three minutes to do this, before four horrors got on the ice for this afternoon's session. My main focus was the swingroll, as I have a tendency to hitch the free hip up. I found today, that if I turn the free leg right out after the swingthrough, my ballet reflexes kick in and my toes point, hip drops, and posture feels good! I am feeling less like I am going to pitch backward now after the swingthrough as well, which is reassuring.
That was all I could really do, for specifics. The rest of the time, I did lots of vanilla stroking to build up my power (and not feeling smug when overtaking said trolls, honest!), played around with my edges and some perimeter stroking / crossovers.
Then I had one of those stupid accidents - I was hurtling towards the barrier, and went to stop. However, I caught my blade on the wrong edge, went pitching forward and caught my hand between me and the barrier. I seem to have a light sprain in my right hand with a little bruising (and my arm is a bit achey as well), but nothing too serious. Bit ouch at the time though!
So not a brilliant skate, but never mind. It happens.


2 comments:
Are you talking about turning your leg out after an outside swing roll? My coach always tells me to keep the hip closed and to point the toe slightly inwards too, b/c opening the hip will pull you off the circle and make it harder to stay on an outside edge.
3turn
Ah - sounds like back to the drawing board on that one then, or at least a question for my coach! I might play around with it today off-ice, and experiment with my hips!!
Post a Comment