An extra long lesson!
Well, after the last few days complete negativity I have had (particularly over the weekend, since my frankly crap skate on Friday), I am happy to say that has now been firmly pushed out of my head and I had a wonderful lesson today! My coach was so carried away with it all, that she ended up extending my scheduled 30 minutes to 50 minutes, on her own time, and we covered loads of things, old and new. It was lovely and quiet as well being half term, with only about 5 other people on the ice. I am so enthused again, that this could be a long post!
Perimeter Stroking: Power getting better, and she has now added a diagonal crossing across the rink to start in the opposite direction. Obviously, that encompasses having to do the progressives in my weaker direction, but to my immense pleasure, once I got over the "Oh My God, I can't do them this fast!", they actually felt pretty good.
Crossovers on Figure 8: As it was so quiet, we did this on the whole rink as it would be in a test, rather than just limiting them to hockey circles. The forward and backward figure 8's were also done consecutively, with a change of direction in between (currently a two foot turn, but will have to be a mohawk eventually for tests). FXO's felt good in both directions - yay! And I also did all the BXO's solo - albeit with the circles being very odd shapes! I still don't like the backward one foot glide, linking the two circles though.
Forward Russian Stroking: I so have to get over getting this confused with the Novice Foxtrot :) Once that was sorted though, it went well.
Backward Russian Stroking: Absolutely everything backward was done solo today, bar one thing, which I was thrilled with. However, on these, I need to transfer the weight much quicker between the crossovers, otherwise I cannot get enough power into them.
Continuous Forward Edges: Felt good, but could do with more power as I feel like I am running out of steam at the end of each semicircle. Still a bit too sharp on my LFI edge, but improving a little.
Continuous BO edges: Did these with the "swing through" today - this was the one thing I did with assistance. Feels slightly worrying at the moment, but confident that they will get there. I have to slow down how fast I do the swingthrough as well, so I don't knock myself off balance.
3 BXO's to Landing Position: I seem to be quite happy gliding backwards in the landing position, which surprised me immensely! I actually really enjoyed doing this, and all these different exercises that are encompassing BXO's can only be beneficial to my overall confidence in doing them. I was able to hold the landing position on the requisite BO edge, and for the desired (and longer!) three seconds. Very pleased :)
Advanced BXO's (or "Proper" BXO's as coach described them!): Not done these before, and it felt a bit like the patting your head, rubbing your tummy thing! I reckon that once I get used to swivelling that front foot to bring it across, along with the stepping wider, I might well prefer these to the beginner BXO's.
3-turns: All there, just about. For some reason, my LFO3's are now stronger than my RFO3's which surprises me. And FI3's happened, albeit still a little slowly (RFI3's are getting a bit faster though).
Mohawks: Turn happens quite happily, but not holding the BI edge afterwards. I think the weight transfer is happening quicker though.
Novice Foxtrot: D was quite pleased with this, I think. Did one circuit today, albeit having to abort halfway along the first long axis, due to imminent collision, but not bad at all. I need to concentrate on keeping over the outside edge on the swingthrough on one side, but other side is okay. And I was pretty tired by this point!
Blimey - what a lot of stuff! I will be going to sleep tonight very tired and very happy :)
I also fear that I might hurt quite a lot tomorrow too!


9 comments:
Glad you had a great lesson. What is the ice like at Ally Pally these days?
It's actually not bad! Texture has improved massively, and even the bumps seem a bit less. Quite impressed really!
I was admiring your handiwork today, with D's soakers!
wow, sounds like you had a great lesson!
It was! One of those lucky days when you have a great skating day, that actually coincides with a lesson as well!
And here I thought you were already doing back crosscuts! Don't get too fixated on the swiveling the foot in front part - it's much easier to think of shoving the outside foot out, and then grabbing the ice with the inside foot and shoving under.
3turn
I was reading about the shoving yesterday - I shall have to give it a go. It does make sense which is always a promising sign! I was trying to do the "grabbing" bitin my lesson, but at the moment it feels quite weird to step sideways, rather than push backwards!
You are making tons of progress!! great job!!
Thanks Kim :D
Skating is one of those weird things, where you can potter along not feeling like you are geting anywhere, and then all of a sudden you think "Actually, look what I can do!"
nice posting keep blogging,....
i am very new in blogging, please and kindly visit my blog,..
thanks a lot...
Post a Comment