Frustration (and a question for British skaters!)
Another reasonably leisurely skate today, that wasn't too bad.
Perimeter Stroking: Worked on getting more power into the strokes.
FXO's: Managed to get seven into a hockey circle today, but it feels like its at the expense of nice extension. I am presuming that fast movements and grace at this stage are mutually exclusive, and they will eventually come together!
BXO's: Pah. Well I suppose I managed to do these a little further away from the safety of the barrier today, and quite well, but they are really beginning to pee me off. But then I think at least I am doing them on my own now, and just have to work on having a coach more than three feet away, but it's such a frustratingly slow process!
3-turns: Went okay. I have discovered that these are a good indicator of when I have had enough - when I am too tired, these become rubbish! Still, they are continuing on their track of continuous improvement.
Mohawks: A little temperamental, but I got some reasonable ones in.
Two foot spin: I really enjoy practicing this! Not very good, but just occasionally I'll hit the sweet spot and get a couple of revolutions in! I think this must be just trial and error, finding the part of your blade to spin on, but I do like 'em!
Russian Stroking: Not too bad - everything now feels like it's getting bigger.
Novice Foxtrot: I wasn't expecting to originally, but I managed to get a few circuits in on this. I was a bit confused at first, as it had stopped fitting in! Worked on making my edges deeper though, and it pulled back in again. I've worked out how my hips should feel on the swingroll and they need to be more open, with the free leg turned out. It's quite difficult not to hitch the free hip up as well, when on that outside edge.
That was it - as I said, when 3-turns start getting pathetic, it is time to call it a day! I was a bit upset about what I perceive as lack of progress with my BXO's, but on the whole, everything else seemed to go quite well. One more day off tomorrow, and then I have a whole week off in a few weeks time - my first (and last) whole week off this year!
I think I shall have to be buying new skates fairly soon, so I'd better book an appointment in Reading before he retires! I understand Mr Westaway is very keen on Gam's, which might actually be quite good for my wide-ish feet, but I was wondering (for the British skaters that visit this blog!) how much I should expect to budget for? I know how much the blades cost (Coach suggested Coroonation Ace) but I was trying to work out how much for example, the Gam Spectra's (0070) or Ultra's (0095) cost? I can't find sterling prices anywhere! I am hoping that they are not too much more than £200, bearing in mind blades will be additional . . . sorry, Mr Barclaycard.


7 comments:
Can't help with Gams advice unfortunately but I can say that I have pretty much given up on the hope that I will ever crack the evil BWxovers...one step forward, 375 back.
It's driving me nuts! I do them, on my own in my lesson. I do alternating ones, on my own, down the length of the rink with BW Russian Stroking. I've done them in a figure of eight, with a shaky linking backward one-foot glide. However, all done with a nearby coach. But still, On My Tod.
Yet, when I'm practicing it's like my knees go, "Uh-uh, you're not doing these today . . . ".
And I thought you'd cracked 'em Clare! Are we forever doomed?
Oh you're way beyond me, I think there's still hope for you! I can't do more than 2 or 3 consecutively, wouldn't even attempt them in a figure of eight and that's with my coach!
Backwards skating is my absolute nemesis. I am at the same point with them now as I was a year ago- it's terrible!
I'm beginning to think we should have a mutual support group, and have a icerink meet-up for the purposes of these sodding things.
You can skate around after me, whilst I do them, and then I'll skate around after you, reciprocating! Can spend a couple of hours doing that - surely that will help sort it out!!
I think they are around the £200 mark; I know Husband paid around £350 for his including blades....
Gams are lovely, I am now on my 2nd pair. Very comfortable, once you get used to them - and they are beautifully padded so don't take much getting used to.
Oh, and btw it's not true about Clare and back crossovers - she's way better on them than she used to be, even if they are still a bit com-ish and go-ish!
Thanks Mrs Redboots about the price information - that has reassured me somewhat! I had these visions of them costing hundreds and hundreds of pounds (well, more than that anyway . . . )
And I am very glad that you have more faith in Clare's BXO's than she does!!
:)
Post a Comment