Taking it easy
First of all, I was originally going to have a lesson this evening at Ally Pally. But, for one reason or another I had to cancel it yesterday (the 24 hour rule!) as I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it today or not. Turned out I would have been able to, but instead I went down to the Littlest RInk for a practice. I think it was fate - I wasn't feeling my best this evening, actually feeling a little nauseous on the bus down there, somewhat achey and tired (I really hope I haven't come down with anything!). And D has been helping out at IJS at Lee Valley - it's a week long, and when she texted me, she said she was exhausted already.
The rink was blissfully quiet today - just two of the hockey adults, a couple of boys and three students who were more interested in sitting on the barrier and chatting. Although I was a little peeved when they moved from sitting on one bit of the barrier, to the bit where I was practicing and where I had been practicing for the last 20 minutes!
I didn't skate all that long, as I didn't really feel like I had the energy - probably about an hour.
I did lots on mohawks - these have improved a bit on the right, and are beginning to happen on the left - yay! I had to tell myself off as I was beginning to get frustrated, and remind myself that I have only had two practice sessions on these away from the barrier and they are happening a lot quicker than 3-turns so just to be patient! I have also decided that mohawks is all about timing. If I transfer the weight too slowly, then my feet start doing all sorts of strange things. I am also trying to think of it as what it is - a turn from forward to back - rather than "Bring foot in, turn it out, toe down first, blah blah blah". That has helped quite a lot and actually was the breakthrough on them beginning to happen on the other side. My main problem with these is not getting the weight right over the skating foot after the turn (just like my 3-turns!) so I am falling off the BI edge. D has also got me doing "Dance Mohawks" where you don't extend the leg behind you after the turn, instead keeping the free foot tucked next to the skating leg. Apparently this also makes them harder. But as she said, if I want to do dance, I may as well start off on the right foot, so to speak!
Did a few FO3's after all the work I did on them last week. Pleased to say that they are mostly good, although as I was tired, I kept forgetting to shift that weight right over the skating leg after the turn.
The last half hour was heavenly - everybody got off except me! I worked on forward crosovers, especially on my weaker side (CW), and although they were a bit hesitant to start with, they weren't too bad considering. I love doing these CCW now.
I also did some stuff on crossrolls - I am pleased that the curves are getting much bigger now, and am doing almost (if not complete) semi-circles now, helped by making sure I have a nice rear extension on my free leg. I think these could become a favourite.
Other than that, as I was feeling a bit bleugh and didn't want to push myself into something complicated, I just mooched around for a bit with forward stroking, slaloming, one foot glides / edges, concentrating on my blades and how it feels when I push more into the ice. It was actually quite interesting.
I could have skated for another half an hour on my own, but my bed was calling. Normally you would have had to drag me off it :) I was a bit put out when the skate marshall kept revving up the Zamboni for the whole half hour I was skating solo though . . .


No comments:
Post a Comment