Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Utter IMBECILES on skates!

I went down to the LIttlest Rink this evening to practice all those lovely things from yesterday. Wednesday is normally practically dead - it has been at times just me on the ice.

Not today. Today I was surrounded by idiots. Not only that, but the idiots weren't the usual little hockey munchkins. THEY WERE ADULTS!! Physically at least. So, I'm going to have a rant and lay out everything that had me fuming. Please skip if you do not want to read the writings of a truly fuming woman. I will try and keep my language under control . . .

  • The ice was a state. Not because of the Zamboni, but because of being ripped up by hockey skates. There was so much snow on it by the time I left, you could have stuck it on a piece of paper and called it a Christmas card.
  • Two adults who think they are God's Gifts on hockey skates. Undaunted even when one realised (during their routinely skating around the rink at an insane speed) that they couldn't weave round someone, fell over and did a full-body skid, crashing into the back of some poor guy's legs.
  • The skate wardens who were keeping up with said two adults, deliberately spraying snow over people, and at one stage throwing snow at people. THE WARDENS!!!
  • A group of other imbeciles (isn't that a wonderful word?) that couldn't skate all that well, but decided to race each other full length down the centre of the rink. Towards me quietly doing my 3-turns. One fell over his toepicks at full throttle, and did a full body slide/crash into the barrier. About two inches from my feet (and I was standing still at this point). If he had been a couple of inches over to the right, I reckon I would have been seriously injured this evening. The force of collision was astounding.
  • The other God's Gift doing a headstand in the middle of the rink.

Okay, you get the idea. I don't know why they don't do a special session for these prats, so they can hare around injuring themselves and each other, and the general public doesn't have to be witness to their pathetic, juvenile behaviour.

Back to me, and as you probably have realised, a somewhat curtailed practice session. In fact, the only three things I managed to do was forward stroking, 3-turns and a bit of BO edge practice..

Strange experience with 3-turns this evening. My LFI3's have been awful - in fact, only managing one before tonight, with my RFI3's being much better.

Tonight, I finally "got it" on my left ones. I even managed to do about six in a row! And then when I went back to a RFI3, I couldn't do them!!! How strange is that?! But I am chuffed that the LFI3's are catching up now. One pointer given to me yesterday that really helped was that I should come out of the turn on as straight a blade as possible, thus reducing that scary backward steep curve that at this stage can throw me off balance.

The last thing I did was a few BO edges, starting at the barrier, pushing away and doing a semi-circle coming back to the barrier. I am trying to remember to keep the extended foot not too wide, and pushing that inside hip into the circle. I'm hoping that if I work these out, then BXO's might follow on!

Well, that was it. A few positives, but a generally dire environment. Oh well, it's bound to happen at times . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda

What a nightmare session made all the worse by the wardens joining i! I have to say the ice marshalls at my local rink can be a pain at times as even in the figure session they think they have to bomb around showing off. Also I know what you mean about adults in hockey skates. We have one who is also permanently plugged into his ipod while skating as well - dangerous I would have thought!

Thanks for your tips on the cross rolls. I think when in doubt it is always best to go for the neutral option!!

Like you I wasn't too keen on the epilogue in Deathly Hallows either. Haven't got to see the latest film yet have you? I didn't like the 5th book but people keep saying the film is good.

By the way thanks for all the tips on the skating. It is kind of you to pass on what the coach has said in your private lessons. I am starting to jot them down in a book:)

Amanda said...

Glad you are finding them helpful Jane! I put them down as this blog is my version of my "Skating Notebook" - I find it quite helpful sometimes to go back to what I have written before. If someone is finding what I have written useful, then that's great!

I haven't seen the film yet - hoping to soon though. My friend and I were considering going to see it in 3-D at the Imax cinema . . .

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare! I know exactly what you mean though with the hockey skaters they drive you mad. I am usually too nervous to try any backward skating when the ice is full of them.

However, at Bristol they have two sessions a week, Sunday morning and Thursday evening which are "family sessions" and there are no hockey skates allowed at all. Sunday morning is one of my favourite public sessions as even if it is busy it is usually families so its me going faster than then for a change!

Gill

Amanda said...

I think the "No Hockey Skates" rule on some public sessions sounds fantastic! Although family sessions have pitfalls of their own - small children aimlessly wandering around every which way :)