Sunday, August 05, 2007

BXO's still eluding me

Well, after an absolutely swelteringly hot day (that's the problem with all the rain, it doesn't give you a chance to acclimatise to the hot weather!), it was a positive relief to walk into the icy coolness of the LIttlest Rink.

Generally I had a good skate today. My "bashed on the bus" feeling has more or less gone now apart from one or two bruises, so didn't feel delicate today. My mojo was back, but thinking now that as it has lasted for over a week, it wasn't my "skating mojo" as such, but more one of those upward bits, if your progress was plotted on a chart.

First focus today was on 3-turns. My RFI3's are happening to some extent about 75% of the time now, and I think that I did just one LFI3, so hopefully they will start kicking into shape now. None of them are brilliant, but the important thing is that they are happening. I also did a few FO3's today as well, just to keep them in shape (sadly unpractised of late, but trying to rectify this).

Usual power stroking, forward crossovers, continuous edges, etc went well. I did a few changes of edge (outside to inside) - this weekened I have been reading The Complete Book of Figure Skating by Carol Schulman and the description there helped my change of edge a little - not "swimming" quite so much now! I now don't change my arms at all, so a CoE starting on a LO edge has the left arm forward and it stays there.

Cross-rolls are getting faster now - I am now trying to focus on getting more of a curve on my FO edge as they were a bit straight, but I think they are improving.

And of course, let us not forget those backward crossovers. Sigh . . . Stacey was a star again, and was the obligatory BXO crutch. The first time round, I was just about to take my hand away, and then heard the dreaded click of death. No fall, just the horrible sound. The second time round, I did actually take my hand right away for one . . . . and nearly fell over. My balance went completely. That was right at the end of the session, and as we got off, Stacey said very sternly to me "That's your fear, not your skating doing that."

However, on further reading today of Ms Schulman's book, on backward crossovers she suggests doing them at a very slow speed to start with. I wonder if this is where I have been going wrong, as I do them fairly fast. I think I will try them next time very slow (barely moving alright?!), as it does feel like the speed that my brain doesn't like. She then says that once your technique is right and you are comfortable with them, you can start building up your speed gradually.

Something to discuss with D on my first private lesson on Tuesday! Very excited, but a little nervous as well for some reason. I am sure I will soon get over that though.

The last thing I tried, again after reading about them in meh book, was bunnyhops! And now - they almost make sense. And I did a couple away from the barrier which I was dead impressed with! Hardly an axel, but my first jump of sorts!!!

9 comments:

Clare O said...

See, I actually find bw xovers scarier when I try and do them more slowly- stupid, I know!

Clare

Amanda said...

It's not stupid. I've decided that nothing makes sense about BXO's AT ALL!!!!

:D

Anonymous said...

Congrats on that bunny hop!

I'm a new adult skater and struggling with backwards XO's too. I feel your pain! I don't have a private coach, just group lessons, so we go pretty slow (no one to hold a hand). I don't think I'm progressing well on them, for what it's worth!

- Susan (lurker at FSU)

Amanda said...

Hi Susan - always nice to see a new visitor!

I am hoping that on my first private lesson tomorrow (yay!!!), then things will start improving. Like yourself, up till now I have been in group lessons, so any hand holding has been very limited. Says something when I have to ask my best mate (Stacey) to do it, who only really started going regularly with me about a month ago!

Clare O said...

Have fun with your lesson tomorrow :) My skating life is back to normal this week with the return of my coach. He doesn't know yet that I am never going to let him go on holiday again!

Clare

Amanda said...

Thank you Clare.

Don't tell anyone but I am actually just a liddle bit nervous for some reason! Stupid, I know, especially as I know the coach!

I am very excited at the same time though - I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve . . .
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda

Good luck with your first private lesson tonight! If its any help I have been having private lessons for over 6 months now and I still get nervous!

Gill

NIUiceprincess said...

congratulations on the bunny hop!!! Once you do them a lot or a series in a row, and you fall, then you'll understand why adult skaters hate this evil little jump (i don't hit my head on the waltz and salchow like i do with this thing if i fall!!!). lol. but i remember being ecstatic the first time i learned it =)

the BXOs will come in time...just like your FI3s!!!

Amanda said...

Thank you Niuiceprincess! I am gradually learning that just cos I can't do something straight away, it doesn't mean that it is totally impossible!
:)

And the BXO's are getting there . . . slowly. At least my technique is getting better on them, even if I can't take the magic hand away yet!