My first private lesson!
Well, what a difference a private lesson makes to a group lesson. Knackering for a start! As my new coach said, there is a lot more opportunity for standing around daydreaming in a group class!
Before the class, I said that I would like to go over basics, as these are rushed through in group classes - as long as you can do them, that's about all that matters. And it was a nice mix of basics, slightly more advanced stuff and things that terrify me :)
Forward Stroking: Apparently, I don't toepick on these at all, which I am really happy about! We worked on my down-up-down rhythm (straightening the legs briefly when the feet come together before going into a deep bend to push off again). I was amazed at just how much more power this generated, and I thought I was going pretty fast already!
Forward Crossovers: I have never had any coach pay any attention to these (they saw I could do them, and shoved me straight up to Level 5 on the Skate UK), so very helpful today. I need to make sure that I keep the crossing over foot in line with the circle, and that my back leg extends crossed behind, with a nice pigeon toe. As with forward stroking, I could feel the extra power generated. Really must work on these going CW more, as they were pitiful in comparison, but got better.
Backward Crossovers: LOTS of time on these - still with the guiding hand, but lots of new tips to take away with me. My problem with BXO's isn't the crossover - the bit I get unsteady on is when I bring my feet back together again. Apparently I do some weird wiggly thing, leaving my weight in the wrong place, so no wonder! D also told me to push the weight right over onto that inside leg before crossing over, pushing the inside hip into the circle, and then making sure I also transfer the weight right onto the crossed over foot. Otherwise, she said they were good, but it's nice to have some focus on what to work on. AND KNEES MUST BEND MORE!
Cross-rolls: I've never had any guidance on these, so this was great. She told me off for pathetic leg extension at the back, and rightly so as that is one of my strengths! So worked on getting a nice leg extension (which actually helped with increasing the edge to make a more complete half-circle) and doing the crossover a little more pigeon toed.
3-turns: Both FO3's and FI3's. FO3's really showed up my recent lack of practice, and were pretty woeful. I eventually managed to do a couple of RFI3's but have certainly done those better as well! D also spent some time helping with with the LFI3's which are lagging behind. She says I either need to speed up the pre-rotation or do the turn sooner as they are not quite in sync.
Backward Consecutive Outside Edges: Hmmm. Something new and scary for me to try. Admittedly, I had assistance today, but scary! I have to practice pushing off at right angles to the line of direction, and also not cheat by doing them on two feet till the very last minute!
So that was my first lesson - it feels like we covered loads. I skated on and off for about another hour and a quarter afterwards and made a small amount of progress on the FI3's and cross-rolls.
The other good thing was that I took a tumble! Not usually a good thing to recall, but you have to understand that every time I have fallen, I have generally hurt myself. This time I fell on the (very) well padded part of my bum, didn't hit my head, my wrists or any other bits of me. I got straight up, and carried on with what I was doing. A few more falls like that, and I might just stop worrying about it!
Sorry, long post. Hope it hasn't been too tedious reading it, if you have got this far!


14 comments:
I'm so glad it went well :) I think you'll love private lessons, I enjoy every second of mine.
Clare
Thank you Clare - it was great, if exhausting :) Looking forward to my next one next Wednesday!
The fear factor has increased as I am now being pushed much more to do the things I don't like, but that can only lead to increased confidence eventually!
PS. Collerhead?
Ah yes, never had a goggle login before and now that I do, it insists on the full title...C Ollerhead would be me :)
Clare
Ah - I see!
I thought it was some kind of weird username - Coller Head
:)
Congrats!
Amazing how much you can do in a half-hour, eh?
Oh, absolutely Gordon!
I was originally thinking "Well, I can only afford half an hour a week, I hope its enough . . ".
I think I can safely say that it's plenty for the time being at least!
How exciting! you covered a TON of stuff in such little time. I've been working on the backwards consecutive edges too, as well as tyring not to cheat by doing them two-footed until the last second!! It helps to push off with a strong half-swizzle and keep the knees very close together when the free leg is in the front. My instructor taught us to do a half swizzle, keep the free leg up in the front with the knees nearly touching, and then extend the free leg to the back.
Hey Kim!
It was a lot of stuff, and feeling it today as well which is great! Although my bum is a bit sore from falling on it anyway :)
She showed me that way as well - I think three ways in total. To be honest, not really thinking too much about the free leg at the minute as finding them rather scary! However, strangely looking forward to practising them this evening . . .
Hi,
Glad to hear your lesson went well. Its much more exhausting having a one to one rather than a group lesson! I have a question on outside 3turns. When you push off its same arm same leg right? Then you change your arms and turn? I am sure this is what my coach told me but I haven't got a lesson for a couple of weeks to ask.
I have a book though "ice skating steps to success" where they show the 3turn with the turn inside the arms so you dont change your arm position at all. I'm confused but perhaps there are just different ways of doing the same thing?
Gill
Hi Amanda
The private lesson sounds great - much more than is covered in a skate Uk lesson. You are right that alot of the time is spent daydreaming or looking at what the other groups do especially when I am in a group of 12!! Private lessons are something I'm considering when I have finished levels 9 and 10 although I think my finances may only fund a quarter hour lesson.
Regarding crossrolls which way has your coach taught you to do them? One has shown us to use contra body position (ie opposite arm to leg) and another has told us we can do them like continuous forward edges(ie same arm as leg leading). I'm confused as to which is the best way to do them?
Like Gill we were taught Forward Outside 3's with same arm as leg leading to help the rotation but I know what she means about the book because I have it also.
On a different note did you enjoy the Deathly Hallows which I have just managed to read after nabbing it off my children? I don't want to give the ending away to anyone but did it tie everything up as you expected?
Hi Gill!
I have that book as well, and I tend to do it like the book, so opposite arm to leg, rotate top half round with arms as you glide forward and then turn within the arms.
However, I do find that book a little confusing on some things - I am trying to get a copy of "Figure Skating For Dummies" - they tend to be very clear books. I have one for karate which is brilliant.
Hello Jane!
The cross-rolls question is a good one. When I was practising them with little instruction, I had opposite arm to leg forward.
My coach told me that I should actually have my arms in a neutral position (table-top position!) and they don't actually move. So another option for you to consider!
Deathly Hallows I thought was brilliant! It did wrap most things up, but I didn't really like the Epilogue. I read the last three words, and didn't realise it and turned over the page for more . . .
Good for you on the lesson!
Regarding 3turns: usually they are taught with the pre-rotate upper body and then turn within the arms method. But then you start to learn them with different arm positions, and with no arms at all. Ideally you should be able to iniate a 3turn with the legs only and no involvement from upper body or shoulders. My coach has me do them with the upper body turned *out* of the circle (e.g. the wrong way) and I thought he was insane at first, but now I'm starting to get it.
As for BXOs, I think of them as "shove, shove." So shove the outer foot out and then shove the inner foot under.
You are doing so great! I love reading about your progress.
3turn
Aw - thank you 3turn! Nice to know that you enjoy reading my ramblings!
Hmmm - thought of 3 turns with no rotation does sound a little mad, but hopefully it will make sense when I have to do them one day!
I think the "shove" thing you describe is kind of what my coach was trying to describe yesterday. Practice, practice . . .
:D
Post a Comment