Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lesson 5

Today was Lesson 5 (I can't believe it, they're going so quickly!) and it was probably my most enjoyable lesson to date.

It didn't start off promisingly - I got home at six o'clock (lesson starts at quarter past seven) and had a bowl of cereal as I was not feeling very energetic. All the way up to the rink, I was feeling slightly nauseous and was really not looking forward to the lesson. But I have to say, once I got on the ice, it was immediately forgotten.

The instructor did get a little carried away today thinking we were a level higher than we really are and started demonstrating backwards snowplough stops (hellooooo, I can barely do them forward!) but after this was pointed out, things came back to our level again! We went over the more tricky stuff again today, including edges (inside and out - still improving) and chasses. We also started learning a new skill, skating forwards then turning backwards. I found these tricky to start with, but it really started giving me a feel for the blade rocker, and how far forward you can "rock" your blade, before catching the toe pick.

The other thing that really pleased me today, was that I was speaking to a girl who is in the class below me, who was having real trouble in doing a snowplough. So I told her the tips I had read, and almost without thinking, demonstrated it! Away from the barrier. I STOPPED! Sorry if this sounds over the top, but these have been bugging me so much. Admittedly, it wasn't a really fast one, but I feel like I finally am getting the hang of these. And it seemed to help her too, which was nice.

So all in all, quite a successful and a very enjoyable class. I just have to get some practice in now for the test next week. I don't normally get too nervous about testing - karate grading has never bothered me too much, but this one might be slightly different. I will try not to think about it too much - just get my practicing in and hope for the best.

I now should really go to bed for an early night as I have a work trip to Manchester tomorrow, but I really want to watch The Count of Monte Cristo tonight! Oh well, I can always sleep on the train . . .

Lastly, I just wanted to congratulate everyone who took part in the British Adult Championships at Lee Valley Ice Centre. I have been reading about it on the Skating Forums, and I kind of wish I had gone now. I think I will definitely attend next year (only to watch at this stage!), as long as it is within reach.

4 comments:

Briony said...

If the British Adults are at LV next year, wear layers. Seriously. I spent Sunday afternoon there, and I'm not sure I've warmed up since!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the warning! I had heard that it was cold there, so I will probably wear my entire wardrobe if I go. I get cold enough at the moment at my rink, just waiting for my lesson in my practice gear!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on "snowplowing"!

Amanda said...

Thanks!

I know it's only a small thing, but after having spent four weeks struggling with them, I was really pleased!