I'm Going Backwards . . .
. . . but it's a good thing!
Today's "quiet" session was really good. The weather has been disgusting today, so I guess people didn't want to leave the warmth of their homes. Maybe they are the sensible ones, but it did mean relatively quiet ice for the rest of us!
Munchkins all seemed to behave themselves - in fact the only person I kept nearly tripping over was an adult, who kept doing sudden random circles without looking who was coming. Infuriating . . .
Practiced the normal stuff, and also made myself start to practice backward skating (I have rather been avoiding this issue). And I have to admit, every time I do it, it gets easier. I do only take little steps at the moment, but I was actually gaining a little speed today, which felt really good. And less of a feeling of impending doom, such as falling on my butt!
Apart from that, I have noticed that as I get more and more confident on the ice, the more I push myself physically. Whereas when I started, everything was done quite slowly and it was more about balance and concentrating on not falling over, now I am pushing myself to skate faster and with more "flair" I guess. I was getting quite out of puff today, which was good! Hopefully enough to warrant the peanut M&M's that I scoffed, whilst waiting for Stacey to finish climbing . . .


3 comments:
I usually start each session with several basic things, including backward stroking and backward pumps on a circle in both directions. I feel like I have to kind of force myself to do the backward stuff much of the time, but going backward really forces me to bend my knees, which is something I'm always being called to the carpet on. Plus, in public sessions, going backwards (in any way at all) makes people think you "really know something!" It's so funny. :-)
One day you will find that going backwards is actually less fall inducing than going forwards!
3turn
I remember backwards being better than forwards from my previous skating existance!
One good thing is that I did at least push myself out of the habit of looking at my feet very early on, so at least that is not a problem, which I have noticed with other people.
And it's so true about looking like you "really know something"! Even with me gingerly skating backwards, people still watch!
Post a Comment