Saturday, October 28, 2006

Feeling Bleurgh

Skating at the public session this morning, which was relatively quiet. This was a blessed relief as I have been struggling with a headache all morning and couldn't have coped with hockey munchkins. It's my own fault - I know that if I have too long a lie in on the weekend, it gives me a sore head!

Because of my head, I didn't particularly enjoy myself this morning, although skating did seem to help it ease after the hour and a half was up. Today I concentrated on forward stroking, lots of one foot gliding on the straight and on edges (I am finding it much easier to lean into the outside edges now, which once you have conquered your nerves in doing so, actually makes the glide easier), two foot turns, stops and backward skating. This is also getting easier (slowly . . ) and getting some speed up. The only problem was, is that because I am not quite up to turning my head to look where I am going, is that small kiddies were standing behind me watching, without me realising! Luckily, a collision was narrowly avoided . . .

The ice surface was horrible today - one part felt like I was skating over gravel, the other side was melting, and up at one end, I nearly fell into a crater! No joke, the hole was about 20cm across.

I can't wait for the next set of lessons to start on Wednesday. Although I am acutely aware of how important it is to learn the basics well, it is getting to the stage now where I feel like I just keep doing the same things over and over again. I need to learn something new, to keep my practice sessions interesting. I am looking forward to learning how to do crossovers and swingrolls, as this is something that I can practice a lot on the public sessions.

I am off work next Friday and Monday as well (yay - a four day weekend!) so looking forward to two very quiet sessions up at Ally Pally, where I can practice anything without worrying about crashing into people!

Lastly, Josie / Penelope / Doris has now finished growing - I have done a couple of comparision photos for the before and after!

FROM TITCHY KITTY, TO HUMUNGOUS KITTY!

No comments: