Building confidence . . .
Skated at the earlier session today at the small rink, and it was reasonably quiet which was good. Practiced various things, but mostly the skating forward and turning back on two feet thing (is there a proper name for that?). Practiced at the barrier first of all and then gradually moved away - getting the hang of it now.
I am noticing my confidence increasing each time I skate now, especially with normal stroking - my speed is getting up. I like feeling the wind in my face!
Stopping is not so easy for me at this rink, compared to the other one. I got talking to a gentleman today who started up at Ally Pally and he agreed that the ice down at the smaller rink was very different - almost sticky. I did practice my snowploughs quite a lot though and they were getting better by the end of the session, so hopefully they will be much better at Ally Pally on Wednesday when I have to do them for my test! He was very helpful as well - I now know where to go to get my skates sharpened when the time comes. I think I will wait until after my test though!
Off out tonight to drown my sorrows / celebrate about turning thirty on Monday - hopefully my hangover should be gone by my practice session on Monday evening! That has to be a sign of skating addiction - the fact that I still plan to skate on my birthday, rather than heading off down the pub with work mates. I can do that the day after!


3 comments:
The turns on two feet are called......"Two-foot turns"! At least that's what we call them here. Sometimes you guys across the pond have different names for things than we do here. Anyway, this will prepare you to do one-foot turns later on (AKA 3-turns).
Happy Birthday!
:)
Thank you for clarifying that - and for the birthday wishes as well :-)
Thank you Gordon!
Post a Comment