Skating yesterday and today
Last night I went to patch, but due to a lack of sleep (my fault completely) everything felt a bit "bleugh". Nothing was terrible - just very lacklustre. So I made sure I had an earlier night, and felt much better today for my lesson.
FIELD MOVES LEVEL 1:
Forward Edges: Good - not quite as good as last week before I had my blades sharpened, but they do feel a lot more secure!
Backward Crossovers to Landing Position: The main focus today was my landing position. I need to bend my skating leg much more. When I do that, I have a good position with a nicely stretched out leg behind me. Something to work on tomorrow (yay! Another day off!).
Forward & Backward Crossovers in Fig. 8: Lots of knee bend today on my FXO's. My coach said "Now you're really skating!!". Still can't do the transition very well at all. The BXO's were smoother and faster today. Now I can work on them every practice session without turning into jelly legs at the thought, the improvement is noticeable.
Spirals: Second side up the rink was much better than the first. I need to push my hips back more, and get more speed going into them.
PASSPORT:
Backward Progressives in Figure 8 (silver): Finally passed them after about 3 attempts, with D threatening to kick my leg behind me all the way round! When she got me to focus on taking my weight back with the leg stepping behind, it got a little easier. That means all my Silver Passport is now passed - onto the gold!
Alternating Forward runs and slip chasses in fig.8 (gold): Passed!
Step sequence - LFO run, LFO closed chasse, LFO run, LFO open mohawk, LBI (gold): I believe this is part of the 14-step! It all goes okay till I get to the mohawk, and again my natural reluctance to do mohawks and 3-turns at speed steps in. In practice afterwards however, I managed to get it a little faster.
Novice Foxtrot: Felt good, pattern filled the ice - will take my iPod to the rink tomorrow and try it with music, as this is part of the Passport Gold.
Canasta Tango: We have altered the arms a bit - now a little more "dramatic" :) I need to keep the leg straight on the cross swingy roll thing.
Dutch Waltz: Have added arms to this now, which makes it feel even nicer. Being able to be more expressive with my upper half makes me feel so much more like a dancer again :)
So a nice lesson and happy that I have moved onto the last bit of Passport and nearly got it out of the way! I just have that 14-step excerpt, backward serpentine chasses again (considering it is in the silver as well, but now there is a "Partner Optional") and the Novice Foxtrot to music . . . "60% in time".


2 comments:
I'm with you on the spirals...i can hold my leg up way higher than hip level on the floor and even hold it for at least ten seconds...but once i'm on the ice with skates on, it's hard to get it up to a even just a little over hip level! and for my right leg (my weaker skating side), i can barely get it up to hip level. it's frustrating..core and leg strength are definite musts to translate that into the ice =)
I agree with you completely about the core and leg strength. My core strength is apparently pretty good, but its my leg strength I'm trying to work on at the minute. I have proved that I can do a spiral on both sides with my leg above my hips at least - now I have to do it every time!
Post a Comment